PDA

View Full Version : First non-French printings of The Three Musketeers?

SCWillson
01-22-2017, 03:11 PM
Hi all, I'm turning to your expertise to answer this question.

When were the first non-French printings of TTM available? I know there was an English translation in the 1850's, but what about other languages?

I am writing a historical short story where the heroine is Russian, but she is a big Dumas fan. The story is set in 1861-62, so I need editions that she might have. She's multi-lingual, and reads English, German, Danish, and Norwegian in addition to her native tongue. Yes, I could use the English translation, but she's the type who likes to practice her other languages so I think it would be more I interesting to have her working to improve one of her less used languages. She starts the story on a trans-atlantic voyage from Le Havre to New York, which will take weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I'll use your name as a character in the story. I haven't named any of her fellow passengers yet.

Danik 2016
01-22-2017, 05:22 PM
There is a first German edition of 1845 (translation by August Zolle) which she could use.
But couldnīt she want to learn French to be able to read the original?

SCWillson
01-22-2017, 06:15 PM
There is a first German edition of 1845 (translation by August Zolle) which she could use.
But couldnīt she want to learn French to be able to read the original? That's actually a pretty good idea, and I think I will probably have her do just that. I'm not sure if a three week voyage will give her enough French to read Dumas in the vernacular, but it might be a good incentive for her to start learning. On a French flagged vessel, she'd have ample sources to ask for help and practice with.

Thank you for the information and suggestion.

EDIT: And I have written you into the story as M. Danik, a Swiss banker who plays chess skillfully against my heroine.

Danik 2016
01-22-2017, 08:25 PM
I am very honoured SC, specially considering that my real identity is very far from a Swiss banker and I have only a very pale notion of chess.

As for your heroine learning French, it seems that it often was spoken by the cultivated Russian gentry in the 19C.

SCWillson
01-23-2017, 12:48 PM
That's OK, and you'll be happy to know that your namesake got the heroine in some trouble, as she was alone in a room with a single man and was then accused of being a harlot. Don't worry, he was a complete gentleman. 😁