PDA

View Full Version : Little odd things in David Copperfield

kev67
01-22-2017, 12:44 PM
SPOILER
I thought it was odd Ham wanted to marry Emily. They are more like brother and sister than cousins, having grown up in the same house. It seems odd and not very probable.

I thought it was odd that Peggotty would send David Copperfield half a guinea by post. When he pays her back, it is also by post. Post office workers must have been very honest.

About chapter 20, after David has left school, he feels embarrassed by not needing the shaving water the servants bring him in the morning. He feels its a slight on his manliness. He must be about 17, maybe 18 and fully grown. I needed to shave by then.

It sounded like David's mother was buried next to his father in the church graveyard. Since it was her church, I suppose she would be buried there. It seems odd that Mr Murdstone would want his wide buried close to her first husband.

If Agnes is so pretty, witty and pleasant, why didn't David Copperfield fancy her? They got on really well.

How does Agnes know Steerforth is a wrong un? Where did she get her information?

Did Dickens have a problem with red haired people? Fagin had red hair. He was described as repulsive. Uriah Heep has red hair. It is not portrayed as having an ameliorating effect on his other features.

Tommy Traddles said he shared his clerk with three other trainee lawyers in his chambers, and that he cost him half a crown a week. By my reckoning, the clerk was being paid less than Scrooge paid Bob Cratchit.

When David was helping Mr Peggotty and Ham move all their fishing equipment from shore to an outhouse, was he wearing his gentleman's clothes?