PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the ending.

yoki
05-05-2016, 02:22 AM
I have just finished The Rainbow. My immediate understanding is that, at last, Ursula has a more detached perspective of existence: she can see that human life, despite all its materialism, its artificiality and the superficial changes, is, as ever, occurring within the natural perpetual cycle of death and rebirth. I think this suggests she can now appreciate a constant blend of 'Sunday' and 'Weekday' life... that she has reached an acceptance of the simultaneous presence of the infinite darkness that surrounds light. Any thoughts appreciated.

YesNo
05-05-2016, 08:13 AM
I haven't read the book. Who wrote it?

If you think about it, just a bit, you should be able to see that "the infinite darkness that surrounds light" is just a metaphor. Flip it and you get a different metaphor, "the infinite light that surrounds darkness." That gives you a choice between two alternatives.

Edit: I checked further. I see that D H Lawrence wrote the book.

yoki
05-06-2016, 05:48 AM
Hmm, I hadn't thought about it like that. Thanks. I suppose I haven't sensed that 'lighter' message in his work (the only other one of his I've read is Lady Chatterley's Lover), but perhaps I've been projecting my own ideas onto his. Interesting.

Carmilla
07-15-2016, 09:24 AM
Hello yoki!!

I read The Rainbow a few years ago and didn't like the way it ended, but I hadn't seen it the way you have. I liked the book very much, though. I like better the way Women in Love ends. ;)