PDA

View Full Version : imperfect thing, a little disgusting in its unfinished clumsiness

XLongChen
04-30-2016, 06:31 AM
Hi,
I'm a newcomer, from China, who am reading Lady Chatterley's Lover.
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(the second paragraph, page 252, chapter 12) by Lawrence (planetebook):
(background:the following is Connie's feeling about the sexual intercourse with Mellors)
Cold and derisive her queer female mind stood apart, and though she lay perfectly still, her impulse was to heave her loins, and throw the man out, escape his ugly grip, and the butting over-riding of his absurd haunches. His body was a foolish, impudent, imperfect thing, a little disgusting in its unfinished clumsiness. For surely a complete evolution would eliminate this performance, this ‘function’.

I feel imperfect means having some drawbacks. But What's the meaning of unfinished clumsiness please? And accordting to the folloing paragraph, I suspect unfinished here means did not reach his orgasm.
Thank you in advance

YesNo
04-30-2016, 07:41 AM
I haven't read the book. What it sounds like from just reading the quote is Connie is thinking that having sex with Mellors is disgusting. She sees him as imperfect and the sex act itself as a clumsy way for evolution to propagate the species. When evolution is complete, or finished, she thinks the function of having sex would not be necessary.

XLongChen
04-30-2016, 08:00 AM
Thank you very much.I think your explanation is reasonable

XLongChen
04-30-2016, 08:44 AM
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(the sixth line, page 253, chapter 12) by Lawrence (planetebook):

‘But what’s amiss?’ he said. ‘It’s once in a while that way.’
‘I . . . I can’t love you,’ she sobbed, suddenly feeling her heart breaking.
‘Canna ter? Well, dunna fret! There’s no law says as tha’s got to. Ta’e it for what it is.’
He still lay with his hand on her breast.

What's the meaning of canna ter and dunna fret please?
Thank you in advance

prendrelemick
04-30-2016, 08:53 AM
"Can't you? Well, don't worry! There's no law to say you've got to. Take it for what it is."

I remember Mellors would often thicken his accent when he thought she was being a bit tragic - so as not to encourage her.

XLongChen
04-30-2016, 09:04 AM
Thank you a lot. I thought fret refers to fear.

XLongChen
04-30-2016, 09:10 AM
And I think There’s no law says as tha’s got to should be:there's no law saying that (not as) thou has got to.
Am I right please?

XLongChen
04-30-2016, 10:01 AM
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(the ninth line, page 253, chapter 12) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background:the following words are describes what happened after the sexual intercourse between Connie and Mellors )

His words were small comfort. She(Connie) sobbed aloud.
‘Nay, nay!’ he(Mellors) said. ‘Ta’e the thick wi’ th’ thin. This wor a bit o’ thin for once.’

I can guess the part is: take the thick with thin. This were(maybe was) a bit of(I feel the of is redundant) thin for once.
But what's the meaning of take the thick with thin please? And what does This wor a bit o’ thin for once mean

Thank you in advance

Jackson Richardson
04-30-2016, 10:12 AM
Put up with the difficult parts of life (the thin) together with the pleasant parts (the thick). I've just had a difficult experience.

XLongChen
04-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Thank you a lot.

Jackson Richardson
04-30-2016, 01:17 PM
That's OK !

It doesn't have the same effect in my version, does it?

(There's nothing regional or vulgar about the phrase "taking the thick with the thin": it is a standard English cliche.)

Jackson Richardson
04-30-2016, 01:21 PM
I've just thought - I don't know the context of the quote and I may have reversed the meaning. Is it that "the thick" is the pleasant side and "the thin" the opposite? That would make more sense.

XLongChen
04-30-2016, 08:32 PM
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover( page 253, chapter 12) by Lawrence (planetebook):

She wept bitterly, sobbing. ‘But I want to love you, and I can’t. It only seems horrid.’
He laughed a little, half bitter, half amused.
‘It isna horrid,’ he said, ‘even if tha thinks it is. An’ tha canna ma’e it horrid. Dunna fret thysen about lovin’ me. Tha’lt niver force thysen to ‘t. There’s sure to be a bad nut in a basketful. Tha mun ta’e th’ rough wi’ th’ smooth.’

I now rephrase the part in red: thou(=tha) thinks it is. And thou(=tha) cannot make it horrid. Don't fret yourself(=thysen) about loving me. thou ought not(=tha'lt) force yourself to do it(=to't).……thou must(=mun) take the rough with the smooth.

Am I right please?
Thank you in advance

XLongChen
05-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(the last paragraph, page 254, chapter 12) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):

And as she melted small and wonderful in his arms, she became infinitely desirable to him, all his blood-vessels seemed to scald with intense yet tender desire, for her, for her softness, for the penetrating beauty of her in his arms, passing into his blood. And softly, with that marvellous swoon-like caress of his hand in pure soft desire, softly he stroked the silky slope of her loins, down, down between her soft warm buttocks, coming nearer and nearer to the very quick of her. And she felt him like a flame of desire, yet tender, and she felt herself melting in the flame. She let herself go. She felt his penis risen against her with silent amazing force and assertion and she let herself go to him

This is the second time for me to meet the quick. What does it mean this time please?
Thank you in advance

XLongChen
05-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(the second paragraph, page 255, chapter 12) by Lawrence (planetebook):

She quivered again at the potent inexorable entry inside her, so strange and terrible. It might come with the thrust of a sword in her softly-opened body, and that would be death. She clung in a sudden anguish of terror. But it came with a strange slow thrust of peace, the dark thrust of peace and a ponderous, primordial tenderness, such as made the world in the beginning. And her terror subsided in her breast, her breast dared to be gone in peace, she held nothing.

The sentence in blue is a little confusing for me. I guess ponderous means awkward, but what are dark thrust and primordial tenderness please
Thank you in advance

prendrelemick
05-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Think of "tha" as "you" rather than "thou" - which is not used in modern English (even though it is derived from "thou")
"tha'lt nivver" is "you will never" derived from "thou shalt never" in the older form. (Some may see it as "you will not never" using a common, though grammatically incorrect, double negative)

So.. "It isn't horrid," he said, "even if you think it is. And you can't make it horrid. Don't fret yourself about loving me. You will never force yourself to (do) it. There's sure to be a bad nut in a basketful. You must take the rough with the smooth."