PDA

View Full Version : The time machine

Unregistered
06-07-2004, 01:00 AM
I see a great allegorical similarity between Wells' view of the future, and the Mormon Church as it exists today. The 'Morlocks' remind me of the secret group of Mormon insiders, that refer to themselves as the "elect of God." They attempt to prevent the vast majority of the cult members from even knowing that they exist. They, the descendents of the founders and first controllers; own and control the corporation that they call a Church, and manage it to enrich themselves, using the billions of dollars that the brainwashed believer/follower 'Eloy' donate to them every year.<br> The Mormon 'Morlocks' almost surely hold controlling interest in General Motors, Pepsi Cola, Motorolla, Safeway, Microsoft, and about a hundred other big corporations. They also truely do "consume" the idiotic 'Eloy' by suckering and coercing them into committing crimes for the benefit of the cult, but leaving them "holding the Bag" when they are eventually caught. They also stalk and ruin the lives of those of us that attempt to escape them, or reveal the truth about them.

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
The time machine is pure genius from page 1!, i could understand where Wells was going. My conclusion of the book was that Wells was implying that not only will the world end up in a struggle, but also the "youth" will be apathetic, lazy and "prey", and he used the eloi and morlocks to represent this.<br>Its actually uncanny, as hes half-way there, as ther is so much youth protesting against government, and wars, and being lazy in school and really don't want to work, and they just want to be feed, and play just like the eloi.<br>I wish more people could see this and mayby try to change, and realise that obviously there not gonna be eaten or anything, but its a weird world and we dont know what is around the corner, and maby try and prevent or prepare for the worst.<br>My thanks to H.G WELLS.

warofwrath
07-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Wow, you people seem to be reading alot into The Time Machine. I am not one to believe in "hidden allegory", especially not from an author as deliberate as Wells.

The Time Machine is my favorite book, not because of its complex theories--the decline of humanity, nature of reality, prediction of the future--,fascinating as they are, but because of the relationship between the Traveller and Weena. The Traveller was an eccentric visionary and although he did not change his ways at the end, he did realize that some things can be more precious (and enduring) than the knowledge, fame, and wealth possible through his invention.

It is the thorough characterization of the Traveller that, like much of Well's other sci-fi, gives meaning and resolution to the story.

While I am glad that others have enjoy this book as much as I do, I would definetly caution against putting words and motives into any author's work.

Green Lady
11-01-2005, 04:42 PM
I see a great allegorical similarity between Wells' view of the future, and the Mormon Church as it exists today. The 'Morlocks' remind me of the secret group of Mormon insiders, that refer to themselves as the "elect of God." They attempt to prevent the vast majority of the cult members from even knowing that they exist. They, the descendents of the founders and first controllers; own and control the corporation that they call a Church, and manage it to enrich themselves, using the billions of dollars that the brainwashed believer/follower 'Eloy' donate to them every year.<br> The Mormon 'Morlocks' almost surely hold controlling interest in General Motors, Pepsi Cola, Motorolla, Safeway, Microsoft, and about a hundred other big corporations. They also truely do "consume" the idiotic 'Eloy' by suckering and coercing them into committing crimes for the benefit of the cult, but leaving them "holding the Bag" when they are eventually caught. They also stalk and ruin the lives of those of us that attempt to escape them, or reveal the truth about them.

*blink* *blink* What the heck are you talking about? Where the heck did you find that allegory?

ajh777
02-03-2008, 05:31 PM

Speaking as an ex-mormon, I'm not sure where you derived this information - I had no trouble 'escaping', I just left. Crimes? Seriously? Right, I'm sure we've all heard of the many crimes committed by Mormons where they claimed the church made them do it. Controlling interesting in many major corporations? Again, just not believable - the Catholic church is far more wealthy and powerful and even they (or their members) don't "hold controlling interest in..." GE, etc. and a hundred other corporations.

I have my own objections to what the LDS (Mormon) church, and most other organized religions, preach - which is why I left. Your claim, however, sounds like you are either a troll or behind on your meds.