PDA

View Full Version : Boring

Laura
12-19-2002, 02:00 AM
Yeah James I agree with you. I'm reading the book for Academic Decathlon and it is trulyyyyyy BORING. Hardy takes an awful long time with the character's descriptions, I thought it would never end. Luckily I finished it and I can honestly say it is not an all that great book.

meghan
02-28-2003, 02:00 AM
i chose far from the madding crowd as my AP literature seminar topic. i wish i had known what i was getting into. this book is soooo long and boring, and we have to talk about it for at least 15 minutes. my class is going to fall asleep.

Melissa
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
I also read this for AP English. But I actually enjoyed it. There are a lot of paragraphs describing nature and stuff that you can just skip, and sometimes you don't have to pay any attention at all...<br><br>I agree that the ending was too short. It also confused me, but maybe it was because it was late at night and I was reading for a long time just to finish the whole book. So do Bathsheba and Gabriel run the farm together or what? Whatever happened to Gabriel's plans to move to California? I should probably reread the last few chapters.

Tanya
06-09-2004, 01:00 AM
A lot of people think Hardy's boring. And I agree, to an extent. I mean, yeah sure, he takes half a chapter to describe a hillside that has absolutely no relavance to..anything..and I'm totally impatient...but I think he was trying to capture and preserve something. We (us) live in a faster, industrialized world, a world Hardy saw coming and didn't like. Aside from inserting his own opinions on the state of victorian morality (with Tess and Jude) he also kind of preserves a picture of an era and a people (the farmers and middle class of "wessex") that he loved.

laura
06-09-2004, 01:00 AM
i have to say i totally agree with you. I am studying it at the moment for my gcse coursework. and have to write a whole essay on it. i have not even read half the novel and i have already given up. it is nice to know i am not the only one who dosent enjoy it cheers.

Ben
06-11-2004, 01:00 AM
I dont agree! I found this book jolly good and Hardys description of the characters related to nature is absolutely superb! I think Troy sounds really sexy and I would love to hook up to him sometime!! Do any of you know his phone no???

James
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I am reading this book for my AP english class. I finished the book and was completely and utterly disappointed. The work up to the climax was pain-steakingly slow and the conclusion was too short to feel as though the book was complete. I am now working on selecting quotes and am falling asleep atempting to do so. I hope Hardy's other works are more interesting, for the sake of my other classmates.