PDA

View Full Version : I am Gabriel Oak!

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
"ahok-ahok-ahok"<br>Cainy Ball<br><br>That is probably the most hilarious quote from the book.<br><br>Anyway, although it is a book which is rather drawn out in places, and description of certain locations and people seems to be limitless, it is, overall, an excellent tale. Although the love between Gabriel and Bathsheba is not what would be characterized as "normal" in the world today, it is one of most steadfast loyalty, and Gabriel, not one to grow obsessed in his infatuation (unlike William Boldwood), is an excellent example of stewardship and constancy to nature, to the rural peoples, and to Bathsheba. In my opinion she loved him from the beginning and only realized it through succeeding events (much like Perceval in de Troyes' Le Cont du Graal). This is manifest most clearly while Troy intoxicates the rest of the men, as Gabriel and Bathsheba are left to save the grain themselves. <br><br>Perhaps I am stupid and too sentimental, but I very much enjoyed this picture of rural English life in the 19th century, and I was surprised to find I found myself, and my thoughts so near in correlation to Gabriel Oak. If only I can get Bathsheba to 'heart' me. MUAHAHAHA! (just kidding folks.)<br><br>ENJOY.<br><br>