PDA

View Full Version : Verse vs. Prose

Arteum
04-29-2003, 09:12 PM
Why does one write verse instead of prose? Because it's easier? Because it's shorter? Because verse may be written in riddles, in enigmatic words and phrases, behind which one may hide one's ignorance and lack of skill?

tadpole
04-29-2003, 09:37 PM
Why does one write verse instead of prose? Because it's easier? Because it's shorter? Because verse may be written in riddles, in enigmatic words and phrases, behind which one may hide one's ignorance and lack of skill?

Gee, you sound upset. Wanna fill us in?

Shea
04-29-2003, 10:51 PM
I like to write in both though I've always been better at prose. To me verse is more of a challenge. To convey all my thoughts to someone in as few words as possible is a task. (I tend to ramble. :rolleyes: ) My poetry tends to start out prosy and so I have to edit it. Like pruning a tree!

Koa
04-30-2003, 12:59 PM
I think i'm very prosy too but i think that poetry is more immediate to write... a few words about that feeling in that moment, not 300 pages of inventing something (which i'd love to be able to but my laziness has always stopped me after a few pages). Of course to write a good poem about one feeling it doesnt take 10 seconds (unless it's a sudden inspiration, which sometimes comes), but it makes you also more free to put imagery and associations without having to explain them in 500 words...
Maybe it is somehow easier than prose, but i've never claimed to be some kind of goddess of literature, so what's wrong in expressing myself in the way i want, even if- maybe- easier than other ways???

b
04-30-2003, 04:26 PM
I also write proze, of course. But I haven't posted it here yet, for several reasons - all eventually having to do with time:

1. Most of my proze is written in Dutch: I would have to translate it.
2. Poetry is a much smoother way of the expression of thought: it is much more free and - sometimes - less difficult.
3. Proetry gives the beginning writer more possibities for self-expression than proze, for it is usual about less emotions than proze.
4. People would rather discuss poetry of a beginning writer than proze, for it shorter and less complicated.

(If I had more time, I would probably have given much more reasons.)

tjg1098
05-31-2003, 05:45 PM
I usually write only verse, because I can get it to flow better than prose. It seems easier to me, and more expressive, but most of my classmates would much rather write a short story than a poem.