PDA

View Full Version : Finished reading it

Carmilla
12-17-2015, 09:15 AM
Hello everyone!

5 days ago I finished reading 'Great Expectations'. It was excellent.
I liked the plot, the way it is written, the descriptions of the characters; in a word, I liked everything about it.

One of the characters I really liked was Herbert. I liked it when he called Pip 'Handel,' besides he was very kind-hearted. What do you think of him? Do you like him?

Jackson Richardson
12-17-2015, 10:57 AM
It is wonderful book. It has a far better plot than most of Dickens' novels, but still the extraordinary range of characters which I miss inTale of Two Cities, the other good plot.

Miss Havisham for me is the most powerful character as she exercises power over others by destroying herself, her health and her humanity. At the end she is a tragic figure. And she is such a contrast to Magwitch, who also wants to exercise power (and destroys himself in the process) but for totally unselfish reasons.

If you found Herbert Pocket kind - which he is - what did you think of Joe Gargery??

mona amon
12-17-2015, 12:50 PM
My first Dickens, and my favourite along with Bleak House and Little Dorrit. Sadly I no longer remember who Herbert was! Joe Gargery I loved.

Glad you liked it, Carmilla.

Jackson Richardson
12-17-2015, 12:57 PM
Herbert was Pip's room mate in London and Alex Guiness in the David Lean film.

kev67
12-17-2015, 02:04 PM
Great Expectations is my favourite Charles Dickens book so far, and the book that really got me into reading C19th literature.

Herbert Pocket was a real gentleman. I think he was the sort of man that Pip aspired to be.

Carmilla
12-18-2015, 07:28 AM
It is wonderful book. It has a far better plot than most of Dickens' novels, but still the extraordinary range of characters which I miss inTale of Two Cities, the other good plot.

Miss Havisham for me is the most powerful character as she exercises power over others by destroying herself, her health and her humanity. At the end she is a tragic figure. And she is such a contrast to Magwitch, who also wants to exercise power (and destroys himself in the process) but for totally unselfish reasons.

If you found Herbert Pocket kind - which he is - what did you think of Joe Gargery??

I thought Joe Gargery was so loving and had such a tender nature that I truly loved him!!

My first Dickens, and my favourite along with Bleak House and Little Dorrit. Sadly I no longer remember who Herbert was! Joe Gargery I loved.

Glad you liked it, Carmilla.

Thank you mona amon!!

Great Expectations is my favourite Charles Dickens book so far, and the book that really got me into reading C19th literature.

Herbert Pocket was a real gentleman. I think he was the sort of man that Pip aspired to be.

Yes, I already knew that Great Expectations is your favourite, so far, from other posts of yours. :)

Perhaps Pip aspired to be like Herbert, as you said, because he admired him, and so he tried to make good things for him. And I think he also admired and looked up to Joe Gargery too. Of course, he loved him so much.

Jackson Richardson
12-18-2015, 10:16 AM
When Joe visits Pip in London, it is very embarrassing - Joe is not at all at ease with Pip as a gentleman. Pip later realises how badly he has treated Joe. It is touchstone for how his prosperity has made Pip less loving and human.

Carmilla
12-19-2015, 09:31 AM
Dickens showed Pip as gentle and kind to Joe,etc., while he was poor and not so when he turned richer. I see that Dickens made a difference between Pip as a child and Pip as a grown-up boy. Because, as you wrote above, he was no longer kind or loving to Joe when he prospered, but he was kind and willing to help his new friends. Like, for example, being kind to the Aged and helping Herbert. There is a marked difference in Pip. He was kind to his new friends when he prospered and cared not so much for his old friends. Why did Dickens make this big difference? What do you think?

prendrelemick
12-23-2015, 06:10 PM
I suppose his new life was corrupting, he nearly abandoned his past for his "expectations". But he came good in the end.

Scheherazade
12-23-2015, 08:50 PM
I agree with Mick... Pip tries to hard to leave behind his own background and origin, trying to fit in and become a new person. In doing so, he also loses his connection with his better qualities. He learns his lessons, which is a common theme in Dickens' books.

Jackson Richardson
12-24-2015, 03:43 AM
On the other hand, if he'd just remained as Joe's apprentice and become a village blacksmith, he'd live a far more limited life.

Catriona L
02-25-2019, 07:11 PM
I find it interesting that at first it seems as if Pip has all the advantages - he beats Herbert in their fight, he has money and a future whereas Herbert is at a loose end, 'looking about him' and even his place is got for him by Pip, yet he then fully takes Pip under his wing for the next 11 years. However, Herbert has the less obvious advantages - less arrogance, good advice and a girl who is steady.