PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
11-06-2002, 02:00 AM
theme of the timetable of love in the life of a good looking woman<br><br>I appreciate your taking the time to post your analysis - and I found it of value to me, in appreciating something more of the 'episode' (1 of 4) that I just happened to see on tv. The phrase above was one of many comments I paused at. thanks

Mike
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Oddly enough, I read this book because my oldest daughter had to read it for summer reading - and my mother was born in the UK in Thomas Hardy country (near Bournemouth). I found the book and interesting blend of a treatise on love and an insightful look at the British rural life style. The book begins with Gabriel Oak befriending a goodlooking young woman named Bathsheba Everdene. With very little thought, he proposes marriage to her - and she declines. Oak then loses his humble fortune, and Bathsheba gains hers and he works for her. Bathsheba falls for a young handsome sargeant Francis Troy - who manipulates her and marries her (though his fickle heart really longs for Fanny Robin who he has left in a hapless pregnant state where she dies) The plot thickens when Bathsheba finally is left by her husband, and Mr Boldwood -her neighbor- begs her obsessively to be his wife. Gabriel Oak maintains his love for her- tho Boldwood is intent on marriage. Troy returns and is shot by Boldwood (at his Christmas party) and in the end Bathsheba marries the steadfast Gabriel Oak. It reminds me of the tortoise and the hare told in terms of love. I cannot tell if Hardy is mocking the concept of patience (Oak) or underlining the fickle female nature of Bathsheba. Biblical references abound, odd irony (Boldwood loses and Oak wins out?) and a theme of the timetable of love in the life of a good looking woman. I found an odd twist in the simplistic symbol of the sheep - Oak declares his love too early in the game and loses (and his 'dog' = his desire takes the sheep over the cliff (sacrificed his amorous plans) then when Bathsheba has the determined idea of running the farm by herself (clover scene with exploding sheep=over inflated self image of her own abilities) and finally the pastoral sheep grazing near the end (Gabriel & Bathsheba deciding to marry and join their talents). I sense Hardy used the simple symbol of the sheep to portray the naive nature of entering into marriage or love - and some found sacrifice while others found contentment. An odd tale of a not quite liberated woman and a not quite sensitive man.