PDA

View Full Version : George Elliot day course

kev67
12-05-2015, 04:12 PM
I was reading the prospectus of the University of Oxford's Department of Continued Education in the canteen of the science park where I work, when I noticed this one day course on George Elliot (https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/Q200-305). I fancy that. However, I am a little concerned about the recommended reading. I have read Middlemarch and I am currently reading Silas Marner, but I am not sure I want to read Daniel Deronda by next March. Daniel Deronda was one of the books discussed in a book I read called The Body Economic: Life, Death and Sensation in Political Economy and the Victorian Novel by Catherine Gallagher. Daniel Deronda is not a book I had heard of before. Apparently, Elliot was keen not to repeat herself; hence the different style in Daniel Deronda to her other books.

These Oxford University Dept of Continued Education courses are interesting. I think they are a university for the third age kind of thing. You do not need any qualifications to enroll. They are evening classes and day courses, basically. I noticed a lot of them actually take place in Reading. Recently I went to one about the New Poor Law (1834) which was held at Reading Registry Office.