PDA

View Full Version : Major Barbara

James Logan
11-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Dear readers,
I'm an Englisn teacher in Central Europe, and I got a task to do. There are some sentences, from "Major Barbara" by G.B. Shaw, as far as I know they are in Cockney English, but can not interpret them:
1. Waw shouldnt Aw git a bit o me aown beck? Is it "Why shouldn't I get a bit of my own back?"
2. Bly me if Jenny Ill didnt tike arter all. "after all" is all I understand.
3. To serve you aht for ittin me acrost the fice. Is it "To serve you out for hitting me across the office"?
and 4. Uve ad it aht o y---This one exceeds my thinking capacity. :D
Can anyone help?

kev67
11-18-2015, 07:29 PM
Dear readers,
I'm an Englisn teacher in Central Europe, and I got a task to do. There are some sentences, from "Major Barbara" by G.B. Shaw, as far as I know they are in Cockney English, but can not interpret them:
1. Waw shouldnt Aw git a bit o me aown beck? Is it "Why shouldn't I get a bit of my own back?"
2. Bly me if Jenny Ill didnt tike arter all. "after all" is all I understand.
3. To serve you aht for ittin me acrost the fice. Is it "To serve you out for hitting me across the office"?
and 4. Uve ad it aht o y---This one exceeds my thinking capacity. :D
Can anyone help?

1. That's how I read it.
2. 'Bly me' is a slang exclamation that just expresses surprise. I think the phrase derives from 'Blind me'. Is 'Ill' Jenny's surname? Not sure what 'tike' means. I would guess 'take', but 'talk' seems to make more sense.
3. I expect 'fice' means face, but otherwise you are correct.
4. "You've had it out of your" perhaps? What are the dashes?

mona amon
11-19-2015, 01:48 AM
Jenny Ill = Jenny Hill, I think.

James Logan
11-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Thank you all!!! The dashes I think for interrupting the sentence.