PDA

View Full Version : I need advice!

Shea
04-28-2003, 11:29 PM
I know that my question should probably be asked to 'Dear Abby', but I wanted imput from a lot of inteligent people, not just one. I work almost full time in a small retail shop, and my boss refuses to let me read when buisness is slow.

I'm her hardest worker, and after the wood work is gleaming and the votive holders are all dusted, there's absolutely nothing left to do except wait for customers to walk in the door. (I even go so far as to clean the gook from the lotion tester bottles with a bent paper clip!) So I'm left staring at the perfumes. I'm the only employee that she treats this way, because I'm soft spoken. The other girls don't understand why I don't stand up to her, but really, I don't mind doing all the extra little tasks that nobody else does.

Her brain is always on 'the store', and if she thinks something is bad for the image of it, she doesn't allow it. And that I understand. But come on! I've been there for two years now, I'm not going to have a book open in front of me while a customer's in the store. I'm extremely discreet. I even force the book to lay open by it's self so that I don't have my hands on the counter (and the way that ruins the spine just annoys me!). As soon as a customer walks in, it goes underneath. Is my request so unreasonable? :(

tadpole
04-29-2003, 02:00 PM
No, your request isn't unreasonable, at least not from the perspective of someone who feels she works hard. From your manager's point of view, on the other hand, if you're reading then you're not working, and that doesn't look good to her. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I've never known a manager to think any different. And in some ways the issue is a slippery slope; if your manager allows you to read, what concessions does she have to make for other employees? If she singles you out and explains that you've earned the privilege to read on the job because you work the hardest, then you risk making yourself the object of coworkers' scorn.

Shea
04-29-2003, 11:24 PM
Yeah, but the thing is, the other girls do read. I'm just the only one polite enough to ask if it's okay. There was a time when she reluctantly allowed it, but now she won't, only of me.

Another thing that really burned me up! I was staring at the soaps (as usual) and she came out of the back room and noticed that there were grease spots on the carpet. I offered to clean them, but she wanted to do it herself! So, of course I'm staring at the soaps again while she has paperwork waiting for her in the back. Staring isn't working so why shouldn't I be able to read if she won't give me anything else to do.

By the way, I've read everything there is about the store. I know the products inside and out. I've had customers compliment on me to her about my knowlege and helpfulness. I don't want to sound conceited about my position there, but I really am the most reliable employee she has. So why does she come down on me the hardest?

(I know this is only a silly sales position, but I like to put my heart in everything I do, and I don't want to have to put up with this situation for the rest of the summer.)

Arteum
04-29-2003, 11:53 PM
Shea,

Maybe if you are not allowed to read, you'll be allowed to take notes? You could think during the time you have nothing to do and put your thoughts down. Especially if you like to write verses ... I would derive formulas :D or think on my scientific problems.

However, your menageress might think that writing verses is even a bigger distraction from work than simple reading ... But at least she'll not see books in your hands.

tadpole
04-30-2003, 12:23 AM
Yeah, but the thing is, the other girls do read. I'm just the only one polite enough to ask if it's okay. There was a time when she reluctantly allowed it, but now she won't, only of me.

So when the other girls read, does the manager ask them to stop and find some work to do? If she allows them to read, then I'm inclined to call your manager a boob. In fact, I will. Your manager is a boob, and you, darling, are allowing her to take advantage of your good nature. She comes down on you the hardest because you let her. It's admirable that you want to be respectful to her, but you deserve some respect in return, especially if you're always willing to take on all those nasty little jobs that other people won't.

Take my advice with a grain of salt if you like, but I think you simply need to stop asking for her permission to read. If she doesn't discipline (for lack of a better word) other employees for reading, then she can't make a case for disciplining you either.

In my office, I often have to fight for respect--unfortunately, it's a corporate culture that tends to devalue women's contributions. I'm probably slightly bitter . . . or very bitter, ;) so I may not be the best person to take advice from, but I believe it boils down to this: if you allow people to take advantage of you, they will. Don't let them. You don't have to be rude or disrespectful, just firm.

Shea
04-30-2003, 08:35 AM
Yeah, that's what my co-worker said. It's funny, I have a difficult time being firm except when I have a position of authority. I suppose, *sigh* that I have to take this advice and just apply it the best I can! :rolleyes: I was just hoping that there might be another way!

Arteum, I tried that yesterday. I don't think she likes that either. I was working on a poem and left my sketch book under the counter when I went to lunch. When I came back, she moved it to the back room where my books "belong." She does a lot of implying! :x