PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Scott's work is without doubt a masterpiece from his time. To take on such a task with the intent to portray historical accuracy as well as hold the readers interest as it does is quite a feat in and of its self. Not to mention the excellent development of characters, the great attention to detail, and the fine creation of plot. With all this is mind I would pose this question: Did Scott actually intend to be anti-semitic or did he intend to portray what he believed was an accurate picture of anti-semitism at that time period? I have not investigated Scott's personal feelings on the Jewish culture, so I do not know. But I am often ammused at the fact that people assume just becuase an author -- especially in a fictional setting -- makes a prejudicial statement it is the authors intent to propogate the prejudice. In the movie "Amastad" was it Steven Spielburg's intent to propogate slavery or to refelect historical accuracy? It would be ludicrous to say the Spielberg was promoting slavery -- so why do some do the same with Ivanhoe if they do not know the truth? <br><br>P.S. For the individual who believes that Brian de Bois Guilbert is actually the hero: I truly would recommend that you reflect upon your own character if this is what you believe is a champion -- my personal opinion is that you are young and have learned little in life and are part of today's culture which holds little value for true honor OR your comprehension of what happened in the story is not at a level that it needs to be and it would do you good to read it again. Scott was very specific in the development of Guilbert and chose carefully his "freinds" such as the Prior Aymer who was at best a thief in clerical's clothing. Later he gives up Rebecca for his career opportunities. Instead of standing up to be Rebecca's champion at her trial Guilbert's answer is to run away like the coward he was.

HERBYKIRBY
12-31-2007, 01:05 PM
I Have Wondered About The Same Thing. Did You Ever Get A Reply?
My Personal Interpretation Is That The Jews Were The Most Noble Characters In The Book, And That They Were Portrayed That Way Intentionally By Scott. The Novel Was The Social Forum That Was Available To Him. In The Context Of His Society, It Probably Would Not Have Been Very Popular To Come Out Directly And Champion The Plight Of An Abused Minority In His Society.