PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Bradamante
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
s.c., I don't think much of your idea about the Templar. Of course Rebecca was the heroine, but you have not got the rest right. What you haven't got is that Scott disliked some things intensely, and dishonor and hypocrisy were two of them. The Templar was rotten right through, and none of Scott's other heros were like him. Also, Rebecca saw right through him (like where he says, "Behold the cross of my order" and she withers him with scorn). To make Bois-Guilbert genuine is to make Rebecca the worst kind of hypocrite. And Scott, for the book so often says that Rebecca is pure gold and Bois-Guilbert a hypocrite.<br>Also that idea about suicide. Do you realise how amazingly proud Bois-Guilbert was? He wouldn't for an instant even think of letting other people think that a man who had insulted him as Ivanhoe had, had managed to vanquish him. Worse, it would seem that he'd been punished by God, thus putting him forever beyond even posthumous forgiveness. It would be tantamount to making public confession that he'd been wrong in, that world, of which we have no idea. You say that ''love would stand the test''. I say not. I contest the idea that he ever felt anything but lust for Rebecca. Did he not accept the challenge to save his honor? And then said as much?<br>Of course he has a deeper character than Ivanhoe. That is because he does not make all the trouble. A villain must have a deep character-- he needs a brain and a motive. The good guy only has to thwart the villain. Take Richard Hannay from Mr. Standfast, The Thirty-Nine Steps, etc, by John Buchan. He's a simple character with rather more than his fair share of brains. But Ivery, the bad guy who completes the love triangle (Richard, Mary, Ivery), has an extremely complex character;however, no less 3-dimensional than Richard or Mary, the semi-secret-agents. Scott, on the other hand, paid much less attention to non-complex characters at that stage in his career. Later on, the Peveril-of-the-Peak-and-Kenilworth stage, the characterisation was much more complete.