PDA

View Full Version : The odyssey

Playa15
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
The Odyssey didn't only inspire me to do mor things in my life but to realize what kind of obstacles you may encounter at any point in life. I was a troubled person in life but after reading this book I realized that a life is worth living no matter what you think.

Miss_Katie
03-29-2006, 11:47 PM
That's so amazing! I think that's wonderful, and that its the noblest thing an author can accomplish if they can change someone's life with their work. Personally I did not get much from the Odyssey, although I have to admit you feel sort of lucky when you witness all the bad luck Odysseus got!

Virgil
03-30-2006, 12:02 AM
I wonder if anyone would care to comment on the Robert Fagels translation. I read the Fitzgerald and the Fagel's translation and enjoyed the Fagels best. But I have no idea how it relates back to the original Greek.

edit: Oops. I meant to post this in the Translation thread.

Behemoth
07-04-2006, 02:02 PM
The Odyssey didn't only inspire me to do mor things in my life but to realize what kind of obstacles you may encounter at any point in life. I was a troubled person in life but after reading this book I realized that a life is worth living no matter what you think.

I totally agree, I got so much from this book compared to its predecessor "The Iliad" which just made me totally depressed!! :goof: I think it holds a great message that perseverence (Odysseus) and loyalty (Penelope) will serve you right in the end. It's also a brilliant adventure, and the language and imagery is superb. Thoroughly enjoyed it. :nod:

thevintagepiper
07-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Ditto. I dislike the Iliad and Aeneid, but I LOVED the Odessey, and was, again, inspired by it.
Penelope is my hero :)

Behemoth
07-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Hmm, I still have to read the Aenid. Dammit. Totally agree about Penelope though, although I think she's belittled by Homer at times in the narrative, he doesn't really explicitly describe her strength or perseverence (he just describes her as crying all of the time), so the reader has to make this connection. I guess that's not completely a negative thing, but I just felt that the female characters weren't developed to the same potential as the men, with the exception of Athene.