PDA

View Full Version : Commonwealth

Katie
02-24-2003, 02:00 AM
The importance of Gonzalo's description of his ideal commonwealth is due to the irony its ironic implications. He begins his speach with the words 'Had I plantation of this isle', which has colonial implications- he is theorising about what he would do if he were ruler of the island, an autocratic leader. It is therefore ironic that he chooses his 'commonwealth' to have 'no kind of traffic...no name of magistrate', and most importantly 'no sovereignty'. <br> Power is an important theme in "The Tempest", and Gonzalo's speech shows that even he, gentle Gonzalo, has the desire to rule and to acquire power.

matthew
02-14-2005, 02:30 PM
When we were acting this scene at the RSC, we decided that Gonzalo's goal was to try to bolster Alonso up in pretty desperate circumstances. He proposes a new way of thinking about the world, seeing the desert island on which they have landed as a blank canvas, an opportunity to start again, a possibility for Utopia, a chance for something absolutely good. Sadly, the people stranded with him would never be able to start again afresh - too much water has gone under their respective bridges, and Alonso and Antonio in particular have committed crimes for which they have only just started to pay the price. The speeches about the commonwealth elicit mocking and destructive comments from Sebastian and Antonio, and Alonso eventually cuts Gonzalo off abruptly with 'Prithee, no more. Thou dost talk nothing to me.' - i.e. you're talking about something fantastical + you're babbling (bonkers) + To me, one of Shakespeare's points in the play is that human nature is essentially flawed and corrupt - there is no such thing as absolute good, and if there were we couldn't imagine it. This passge links for me to things like Ferdinand swearing he won't touch Miranda - 'the white cold virgin snow upon my heart abates the ardour of my liver' - to which Prospero replies enigmatically 'Well...' - to me, meaning 'I don't believe you' + 'You're just a boy - you think can be absolutely in control of your emotions'. And of course it leads to the big turning point of the whole play, when Ariel tells Prospero that Alonso, Sebastian and Antonio (having been driven by Prospero to the brink of suicide) are truly repentent; if Prospero saw them, says Ariel, 'Your affections would become tender.' 'Dost thou think so, spirit?' 'Mine would, sir, were I human.' To be human is to be changeable, in both good and bad ways - we can't be absolute in the face of change. Prospero - who till now has been intent (I think) on eventually killing his 'enemies' - changes. 'And mine shall.' When you're acting these plays, you become aware of how moments like these in the text link together to tell the audience a profound story, at a deeper level than the words. Gonzalo's 'commonwealth' reflections on absolute good pave the way for the sea-changes to happen later.

Lydia
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I was just thinking about the commonwealth that Gonzalo speaks of in the play. I dont understand why this is mentioned in the play. How does the commonwealth play a part in this wonderful piece? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

trinityshiva
02-06-2006, 01:36 PM
katie, mathew and lydia
i dont mean to insult you but the comments u make half handedly may make you stand shame faced in front of this forum in particular and in front of this world in general like Roma Gill and her mentors the oxford university press would stand when their works are questioned and banned by the court of law in my country.
god bless you
shiva

trinityshiva
02-06-2006, 11:40 PM
“for no kind of traffic”
This is the greatest dialogue of The Tempest, and see how absurdly the lines of this dialogue have been mauled by W.Turner.
W.turner translates asno commerce or trade would be allowed. Roma Gillno commerce.
But if I make you a king or emperor would you stop all the trade and commerce? Then how would you live? Here I think the word traffic is totally misinterpreted by W.Turner and Roma Gill.
Then what must be the meaning of the word “traffic” to be right in this context? Traffictraffic in human beings (consult a dictionary of legal terms) i.e. the sale and purchase of human beings like any other commodity amounting to trading human beings as slaves. This was considered disgusting by Shakespeare and through Gonzalo’s dialogue he expresses it.

“No name of magistrate”
W.Turner” No name of magistrate”” I would not have such an office as that of a magistrate.
In other words W.Turner means to say that Gonzalo would do away with the judicial system. But can we live with the judicial system or the system of listening to the petitions and redress of grievances removed from the society? Shakespeare presents the character of Gonzalo as a noble one and would an intellectual like Shakespeare write such meaningless and absurd dialogue for a noble character?
Now let me explain this dialogue in a saner and logically acceptable manner. Pick up a dictionary of Legal terminology and look for the meaning of the word “Name” and the meaning would be discrimination. So I think Shakespeare is suggesting that there should not be any discrimination in the appointment of the magistrates by way of favoritism or nepotism.
Letters should not be known”
W.TurnerLettersno learning; no education from books.
Roma GillLettersno literature, no academic education. Now I feel W.Turner is taking us to the Plato’s ideals of education that man should learn from the Nature while Roma Gill is for complete abolition of literature and academic system of education.
Do you feel that an intellectual of Shakespeare’s stature would suggest such absurdities? What is the logic behind this kind of conveyance? In my opinion I think we should take an appendage marque as an implied appendage and assume that Shakespeare is suggesting “the letters of marque” giving a meaning amounting to crime and criminals i.e. he wants the society to be free of crimes and criminals. Refer Para 791 of the Roget’s to be convinced.

trinityshiva
02-07-2006, 12:40 AM
“for no kind of traffic”
This is the greatest dialogue of The Tempest, and see how absurdly the lines of this dialogue have been mauled by W.Turner.
W.turner translates asno commerce or trade would be allowed. Roma Gillno commerce.
But if I make you a king or emperor would you stop all the trade and commerce? Then how would you live? Here I think the word traffic is totally misinterpreted by W.Turner and Roma Gill.
Then what must be the meaning of the word “traffic” to be right in this context? Traffictraffic in human beings (consult a dictionary of legal terms) i.e. the sale and purchase of human beings like any other commodity amounting to trading human beings as slaves. This was considered disgusting by Shakespeare and through Gonzalo’s dialogue he expresses it.

“No name of magistrate”
W.Turner” No name of magistrate”” I would not have such an office as that of a magistrate.
In other words W.Turner means to say that Gonzalo would do away with the judicial system. But can we live with the judicial system or the system of listening to the petitions and redress of grievances removed from the society? Shakespeare presents the character of Gonzalo as a noble one and would an intellectual like Shakespeare write such meaningless and absurd dialogue for a noble character?
Now let me explain this dialogue in a saner and logically acceptable manner. Pick up a dictionary of Legal terminology and look for the meaning of the word “Name” and the meaning would be discrimination. So I think Shakespeare is suggesting that there should not be any discrimination in the appointment of the magistrates by way of favoritism or nepotism.
Letters should not be known”
W.TurnerLettersno learning; no education from books.
Roma GillLettersno literature, no academic education. Now I feel W.Turner is taking us to the Plato’s ideals of education that man should learn from the Nature while Roma Gill is for complete abolition of literature and academic system of education.
Do you feel that an intellectual of Shakespeare’s stature would suggest such absurdities? What is the logic behind this kind of conveyance? In my opinion I think we should take an appendage marque as an implied appendage and assume that Shakespeare is suggesting “the letters of marque” giving a meaning amounting to crime and criminals i.e. he wants the society to be free of crimes and criminals. Refer Para 791 of the Roget’s to be convinced.

whiteangel
01-02-2008, 06:20 PM
when i read Gonzalo's speech i assumed he ment to create a "utopian" society...in which there would be no law, no demoracy (such as in Naples at the time) or dictorship (Prospero dictating the island) and no offices, no education in the sense that one will not have to learn about maths or english or sceince but about humanity and morality, which i find is possible...i mean before humans devloped law or education or kings and queens, back in the time of adam and eve, we survived therefore surely the type of utopian society Gonzalo was initally talking about is possible in every sense on the word......i personally think the speech amplifies the plays theme of "power" as it shows Gonzalo (the mediator) creating a utopian society in which he is king...a complete hypocracy, through the speech Shakespeare makes a bold statement on how man has become an meglomaniac and worshiper of money and power.