PDA

View Full Version : Prosperos change of heart

carolyn
04-17-2003, 01:00 AM
Prospero certainly did not always feel this way. In Act 1 he was so adamantly telling Miranda what evil bastards Alonso and Antonio are and it is said that, "He that dies, pays all debts." Later on, Prospero comes to the realization that he values his own peace of mind over vengence. He forgives because he has evolved as a character, releasing himself of his magic, and going back to his true weak self. Ironically, letting go of his power sets him at ease, as if he was filled with the plague of honesty. I also think if you cannot fully comprehend the book, you should not be looking into its paralells to Shakespeare's writing career just yet.

Paulo
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
This quotations is from act 3, scene 2, and it is said by Stephano not Prospero. Misplaced quotations like this can be terribly interpreted, please be more careful.

Shadow D. Wolf
06-07-2004, 01:00 AM
I don't believe it was ever Prospero's intent to do harm to Alonso, et. al.<br><br>In fact, we learn that he gave Ariel clear instructions not to harm anyone in the process of stranding Alonso and the others on the island. (Act 1, Scene 2, after Ariel tells Prospero that no one was harmed, and that the ship is safe and intact, he says, "Ariel, thy charge/Exactly is perform'd.") Heck, when Alonso and the others awaken on the beach, they even find that their clothes are clean, dry, and like new! (Act 2, scene 1, Gonzalo comments, "That our garments [...] being rather new-dy'd, than stain'd with salt/water.")<br><br>Carolyn wrote: "I also think if you cannot fully comprehend the book, you should not be looking into its paralells to Shakespeare's writing career just yet."<br><br>To this I have only one response: Pot. Kettle. Black.<br>

Russsell
02-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Actually, act 5 is correct, and it was Prospero who said it. Misplaced corrections like this can be terribly judgemental, please be more careful.<br><br>By the way, excellent reply, Carolyn. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Unregistered
03-23-2005, 10:31 PM
It is a Prospero quote in V.i!

Tim
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
During act five, prospero decides that "the rarer action is in virtue than vengence". What has made him change his mind, or has it always been set this way? I personnally think it is to reflect Shakespeare's unsure mind on his forthcoming decision to give up writing. What do you think?