PDA

View Full Version : Caliban the 'Natural Man'

Staek.
11-06-2002, 02:00 AM
Whilst it is possible to consider Caliban as a base and "natural man", we have to consider what this entails. He displays a love of music, and a close tie with the "sweet airs" of the isle, his harmony with the music, arguably the music of the spheres implies that he is in his place. Whether this can be termed "good" or "bad" is where the problem lies. We must also consider Prospero's effects on Caliban, having absolutely nothing to refer to in relationship to Caliban's life before Prospero arrived. Anyway, I must run off and write an essay on oppression : )

Unregistered
12-19-2002, 02:00 AM
hmmmmmm.....all very intellectual,,,,<br>

Soranzo
12-19-2002, 02:00 AM
I, too, find Bloom's interpretation of Caliban compelling and accurate to the text. But you must not forget that there is a *context* underlying the literal text; to an early modern audience, the idea of "natural man" -- particularly with the growth in exploration and colonization -- was associated with the native cultures encountered in Africa, India, and the "New World". The stereotypical images that surround Caliban as a man "stripped of the veneer of civilisation" link him to a very real tradition, during the period, a tradition that attempted to portray the "Other" of newly colonized lands in a simplified and radically reductive manner on the stage. <br><br>While I disagree with Bloom that Caliban should not be read as a representative of these cultures (he undoubtedly is....witness Shakespeare's use of Montaigne's essay on the "cannibals" of the New World as a source for The Tempest), I do not find the tendency of modern "revisionist" productions of The Tempest to be honest to the text that Shakespeare wrote. While it might be comfortable to our modern sensibilities to find, in Caliban, the noble and heroic Afro-Carribbean freedom-fighter, in Shakespeare's text he is a base earth elemental, literally and figuratively trapped in the earth, who succumbs (like the lower-class European characters) to the temptations of alcohol and who perverts the great gift of language to only one end: to curse his captor. This is hardly a sympathetic freedom-fighter.

tom
03-01-2003, 02:00 AM
I agree, during the play, we learn that before caliban made a move on Miranda, Prospero treated him civily. It is only once he has had his civil liberties removed that Caliban displays these primevil instincts as a "natural man". Although it is still evident that he holds onto some of the knowledge taught to him by Prospero as he talks about "sweet airs" on the island. In my opinion it comes down to the eternal dilema of nature vs nurture.

Unregistered
03-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I would have to disagree, there are too many references to new worlds and displacement of power, sycorax and ariel and so on to ignore the idea of colonisation. Shakespeare must have wanted Caliban to have some nobility or implication of it, or he would not have written the majority of his lines in verse.<br><br>However other ideas such as nature vs man or man's art, and inversion of society (Caliban thinking Stephano a God etc) are effectively addressed in the play.

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Just as a point of interest, I wonder what people think of the New Historicist reading of Caliban as representative of colonialism, which seems quite prevalent in the study of the play? I am more incline to agree with Harold Bloom, who does not see any such nobility in the character - I would say rather than a down-trodden Afro-Caribbean slave, Caliban is a representation of 'natural man', stripped of the veneer of civilisation. What do other people think?

ophelia2602
05-24-2007, 01:53 PM
i have to disagree; caliban states that, with relation to his 'move' on miranda, he would have 'peopled else this isle with calibans' - does this not express an innate animalistic desire to reproduce, rather than denoting any malevolent intent on his part? caliban, although oppressed by prospero, immediately seeks to fill the slave role - note his conduct with stephano and trinculo; he automatically worships them and asks to kiss stephanos feet... it is possible that this is due to prospero's conditioning. also, by plotting to kill prospero (with stephano and trinculo), is caliban not simply doing what prospero is doing with regards to his manipulation of antonio? that is, seeking vengeance on their usurper (as caliban was, or at least he views himself to be, the rightful owner of the island); caliban, however, lacks the magical ability that prospero has to fully carry out his revenge. montaignes essay 'on cannibals' raises the interesting idea of the 'noble savage', and uses this anthropology to denounce european society... shakespeare had read this essay and it would have most certainly influenced his characterisation of caliban.

whiteangel
01-02-2008, 01:26 PM
"Caliban" is almost an annagram of the word "Cannibal". i find this interesting as it almost proves that Shakespeare used montaignes essay because the name otherwise, would be to much of a coincidence. Now, bearing in mind that Shakespeare was effected and perhaps influenced by such essays, one can't dismiss the fact that Caliaban is possibly a political statement on the treatment of these "natives" who vary from being African cannibals to barbarric indians. therefore, if shakespeare was educated and known about the vicious treatments of these humans, than Calibans character is symbolic of the difference between Humaninty and westernisation, which had in the context of the play, been created. readers can witness this difference when Trinculo and Stephano indulgde in Prosperos expensive "robes" and Caliban simply dismisses thier worth and calls them "trash". Calibans immediate dismissal reinforces the ideology that western society rather than the "uncivilised" society is tainted and contaminated by material worth.
Prospero, the protaginist of the play, is ready to sell Miranda to become duke. Alonso who possess "divine right of the king" sells over his daughter claribel in return for a handsome dowery. It seems that all the "western" characters of the play are focused on either regaining or gaining Power...as opposed to Ariel or Caliban who simply want to be set free..
Calibans "attempted" rape is very ambiguous, as Prospero Claims that he only turned on Caliban because he tryed to "vilolate the honour of his child" yet Caliban claims that he only attempted rape because he wanted to create more "calibans" therefore impling that he wanted to Use miranda's womb not her sexuality as he needed more calibans to create a army and get rid of Prospero who overtook his island. leading one to wonder is Prospero is lieing and trying to justify his abusive behaviour towards Caliban...
Howevre...there are many interpretations on caliban...that is the bueaty of him...so there can never be one grounded justification or statement regarding his nature or nurturing....