PDA

View Full Version : STURGEON ENG 4B HD Part II Significant Quotes

Yvonne Sturgeon
03-16-2015, 06:21 PM
For all Eng IVB students, my question to you is this: What two images do you find now after Part II that seem to prevail throughout the story? Name them and discuss their significance. This is the first of several threads, as well as an opportunity to post questions to others!:)

taylorspruth
03-17-2015, 07:09 PM
For all Eng IVB students, my question to you is this: What two images do you find now after Part II that seem to prevail throughout the story? Name them and discuss their significance. This is the first of several threads, as well as an opportunity to post questions to others!:)

The images that I am discovering in Part 2, that I did not notice in Part 1 are visualizing the surroundings more vividly. (1)The deep forest, yet untouched by the white men. (2)When meeting Kurtz's friend who lives in the hidden hut, the realization that some men are actually trying to save the Africans in the forest and their native ways kept preserved. The Africans that are met who are found with Kurtz's friend are "broad chested, dark blue clothing, fierce nostrils, and there hair neatly arranged in ringlets artfully." These men are classy "new time" african men who are treated with respect. (3)Later in Part 2 we meet the "old" Africans who are still in touch with the native ways "tangled gloom, nakedd, glaring eyes glistening in bronze color." The quote I picked to describe Part 2 was : "Surface- truth enough in these things to save a wider man. "

SaifMalley
03-17-2015, 09:13 PM

The images that prevail throughout the story are descriptions of the "savages" and the descriptions of the forestry as a sort of fortress protecting Africa, making it impenetrable. I believe the significance of Marlow describing the forests on the banks of the river with tall trees as impenetrable because it symbolizes that the European attempt to colonize, exploit, and civilize Africa will ultimately fail. Marlow himself had "judged the jungle of both banks quite impenetrable" (27). This is in part II where he realizes it is impenetrable, but throughout the story he describes it and allows the reader to come to the conclusion that it was impenetrable before Marlow claims it is. The other image that I find significant are the vivid descriptions of the native Africans and their "savagery." Marlow views their culture with contempt and disgust and calls them all cannibals, yet is surprised to see that they don't actually eat each other. I believe this is significant because as the story progresses Marlow's descriptions of the Africans change a little bit each time he describes them, and this symbolizes his progress towards the realization that the Europeans are the one's bringing the darkness, and at the heart of darkness are Europeans.

MorganDuss
03-18-2015, 05:03 PM
The two images that I am finding now after reading Part 2 are the scenery and surroundings descriptions, as well as the act of cannibalism. "We penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness. It was very quiet there. At night sometimes the roll of drums behind the curtain of trees would run up the river and remain sustained faintly, as if hovering in the air high over our heads, till the first break of day." This is important because the details described are used to portray the "heart of darkness." The ship is going down the river, the surroundings seem to be getting darker and darker, and the trees are hanging over the river more. "I asked; 'what would you do with them?' 'Eat 'I'm!' he said curtly, and, leaning his elbow on the rail, looked out into the fog in a dignified and profoundly pensive attitude." This is important because the white men had been traveling for six months and had no other way to survive. Since they had to go for so long without real food, they resulted to cannibalism of the "black fellows" as a means of survival.

Justin H P.2
03-18-2015, 05:50 PM
One thing that seems to prevail throughout the story is the idea of the surface of things. Whether it be the image of the surface of the water, or the image of the forest from the outside, it seems like the surface of things is what interests Marlow. As said in part 1, "to him the meaning of an episode was not the inside like a kernel but outside." When Marlow is going down the river, he says that his job is to keep a look out for dead wood floating on the surface of the lake. He says that when you pay so much attention to the outside of things, the inside seems to be of no importance. In a way it means that when one pays so much attention to the surface of things, the "inner truth" and "reality" is ignored and put aside. This also relates to the idea of the outside of the forest being an immense barrier to what is inside of it. With its huge trees bordering the sides of the river, someone who is riding on a boat along the river sees only what is on the outside, and not the reality of what occurs with the natives on the inside. It may be a stretch to say to say, but I think that the outside represents the imperialist view of seeing things in a way that is oriented around making a profit, and the inside represents the lives of the natives and the way they feel about what these outsiders are doing to them.

A second image in the story is just how the natives are described. Many times they are described as savages or creatures. There is obviously no respect for these natives, and that is why it is so easy for these colonists to take advantage of them to gain a profit. When Marlow sees them pass by him, he describes them as having a, "deathlike indifference of unhappy savages." There are plenty of other examples in which the natives are described this way, and it seems that the view the white people have of them is that they are uncivilized and incomprehensible. Whether it be their appearance or their voices (noises), they are described in a way that portrays them as being savages.

nicksandoval
03-18-2015, 08:27 PM

The two images I found that seemed to prevail throughout to story are the image of the African wilderness and the light vs dark imagery. Time and time again Marlow describes nature of Africa as immense and unnatural. The African setting is foreign to him and his constant description of Africa as being 'not real' and unlike anything he has ever seen before helps the reader to understand the entirely different world Marlow was in, not only from a nature perspective but also from a time perspective. When traveling up the river Marlow comments that its almost like he's going back in time to a less civilized time of the Earth with all the overgrown wilderness and savage natives he sees. He also mentions that he is used to seeing nature in the form of a 'conquered monster' where as in Africa the 'monster' is free and untamed. As for the light vs dark imagery, the two are very significant in the book and have many meanings. As he is leaving England Marlow comments that England used to be a 'dark' place back before the Romans colonized it. He speaks of them in a tone of admiration, talking about the challenges they must have faced with savages and building a new civilization in an unknown world. Therefore, darkness could mean uncivilized, savage or primitive. With light, there are instances where light plays an interesting role. When Marlow discovers all the natives slaving away as the men of the Company blast holes with dynamite before he embarks on his journey to Kurtz, he talks about the intense white light beating down on everything. This would lead the reader to believe that the light may be symbolic of imperialism and modern civilization .

sdebbas
03-18-2015, 09:37 PM
One thing that seemed to prevail throughout the story after reading part two was this idea of 'restraint'. Marlow says "Poor fool! If he [the helmsman] had only left that shutter alone. He had no restraint, no restraint" (32). I think the significance of this is to show readers that restraint is a necessity that brings 'goodness' to our lives and the lack of it could lead to 'evil'. He exemplifies this by showing the readers that the helmsman's own lack of self-control has led to his own death.
Another thing that seemed to prevail throughout the story was this concept of 'sound'. Marlow mentions this concept several times but once specifically says, "what made the idea of attack inconceivable to me was the nature of the noise" (27). I think the significance of this is to show readers how big of an impact sound really has on us. I think he is trying to tell us that we should not believe everything that we hear; that not only looks can be deceiving, but what we hear as well.

jrsantoro
03-19-2015, 12:27 AM
I think one of the most reoccurring and prominent images in the story is the image that Marlow gives all of the "savages" he sees. Marlow calls the natives "savages" not because he has experienced them being savage or doing anything savage but because all of the Europeans call them this. What I think is one of the most significant moments in the story is when Marlow compares himself to these savages. It humanizes both the natives, and Marlow himself. Another image that seems to prevail throughout the story is the image of pointlessness. Throughout the story Marlow watches pointless actions take place and sees things as meaningless because they are actively doing nothing. For example, Marlow sees the European men making the natives blow holes in a mountain, essentially doing nothing. What this shows is that the English presence in Africa does nothing and that the English are just there wasting their time and money on needless projects.

heyitsmoog
03-19-2015, 01:39 PM

The two images that seem to prevail, in my opinion, are the image of the native people and the image of the mens surroundings.
The natives are described as savages and cannibals who shriek "a cry, a very loud cry" and their native dialect makes Marlow's hair stand on edge.

The images of their surroundings are used literally and metaphorically. The fog, for example, prevents Marlow from being able to see his surroundings and leaves him with only sounds to aid him in making a judgement on how to escape the situation.

samanthajones
03-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Marlow's surroundings and the savagery of the natives seem to be the two images that are most prevalent throughout the story. Marlow is continuously describing the 'darkness' he sees as he travels farther into Africa. "The living trees, lashed together by the creepers and every living bush of the undergrowth, might have been changed into stone, even into the slenderest twig, to the lightest leaf" (35). Marlow is starting to go mad and is starting to see this dark place turn into other things. In this case, he sees nature turning into stone. This is significant because as he travels deeper into the heart of darkness, he begins to lose control of his own sanity. "Perhaps you will think it passing strange this regret for a savage who was no more account than a grain of sand in a black Sahara" (46). This idea that all the natives are worthless is consistent throughout the book so far. One or ten native deaths barely effect the Europeans' life. This is significant because the natives can do nothing about this connotation they are forced to hold and have to face the horrible conditions the Europeans' put them through.

Ryan Andrews
03-19-2015, 06:33 PM
The two images that I found that seemed to prevail from part 1 to part 2 were the light and dark contrasts as well as how time can go forwards and backwards. Throughout the novella, the images of light and darkness come to represent certain ideas that in common literature they do not. When Marlow finds out what Kurtz wrote about the natives he declares, "It was very simple, and at the end of that moving appeal to every altruistic sentiment it blazed at you, luminous and terrifying, like a flash of lightning in a serene sky: 'Exterminate all the brutes!'(46). Marlow describes Kurtz's statement to kill all the brutes as luminous, which shows how brightness can represent the truth coming to light. The truth of Kurt's intentions is blatant and obvious, as is anything when light shines on it.

Time is static rather than dynamic in this book. Marlow finds that the closer he gets to the heart of the jungle, the further back in time he gets. He states, "We were wanders on the prehistoric earth, on an earth that wore the aspect of an unknown planet"(31-32). Ever since Marlow embarked on his journey of discovery, he has found that the natives and jungle seem to be from a different time. The world he knows slowly fades into the background as the presence of a different time or maybe even world creep forth into his new reality.

Collin Stark
03-19-2015, 07:35 PM
The Heart of Darkness uses imagery to both strengthen and add mystery to the story. Religion imagery is the extremely prevalent in the story, the way Marlow sits when telling his story with "his arms dropped, the palms of his hands outwards, resembled an idol." The use of religious imagery extends throughout the entire novella and allows Conrad to draw from the readers previously known and trusted knowledge which provokes a deeper meaning not only of the latent content but what the reader draws from the story. Conrad also creates an image of Africa as uncivilized using Marlow's thoughts and actions. When Marlow first starts up the river he says it was like going back in time to a prehistoric land, even comparing Africa to an ichthyosaurus. Conrad does this to show Marlow's beliefs towards the difference between the industry of Europe and the untouched " dark place" of Africa.

lrempalski
03-19-2015, 07:53 PM

Two images I noticed that prevailed throughout Part I and II were the concepts of being trapped and darkness. Much of Part II mentioned that parts of the river were impossible to distinguish from each other; it was very easy to feel lost or trapped when traveling along the river. Marlow also described the forest as extremely dense and "impenetrable" which adds to the feeling of the men being trapped. From dark and negative adjectives used to describe weather to describing the skin of the natives, darkness is expressed in many ways and was one of the most significant symbols used. Darkness is used to symbolize corruption, uncivilization, and literal darkness.

WillDo
03-19-2015, 08:43 PM
An image that prevailed in the story for me was Marlow's descriptions of the natives as he traveled deeper into the jungle. Marlow states how they "were not inhuman“, and how they "howled and leaped, and spun, and made horrid faces." Even though Marlow describes them as savages, he seems to have an understanding for the natives as he explains how the natives were still human like everyone else in the world. This seems to show that Marlow is changing his viewpoint of the natives from the stereotypical views of others that are nothing more than savages who are uncivilized.

Another image is the jungle and everything within it. Everything like the stations, forest, river, and people are described to be under control of Kurtz, shown in the quote "‘My ivory.’ Oh yes, I heard him. ‘My Intended, my ivory, my station, my river, my--’ everything belonged to him”. Kurtz believes that everyone and every object belongs to him and him only, and this shows how corrupt and obsessed Kurtz is over ownership, especially with ivory.

aubrey burger
03-19-2015, 08:54 PM
I found that The Heart of Darkness uses irony throughout the story to give clarity and deepen the meaning behind a lot of the characters actions. The imagery I found in Part 1 and 2 that seemed to prevail throughout the story were the contrast between laziness and hard work along with what is realistic and what had been fabricated for the characters own piece of mind. It is very ironic that the white Europeans (pilgrims) call the African Americans (Natives) lazy when in reality they are the ones doing all of the work and in return the pilgrims get paid and are healthy and the natives get nothing but to starve and rot in the Congo. another ironic point is when Marlow thinks he knows who Kurtz is and kind of idolizes him when he has never even met the man, all he knows is what has been told to him. "His name, you understand, had not been pronounced one. He was 'That man'". (22)

annap
03-19-2015, 09:00 PM
After reading part 2, the two images that I now find to prevail throughout the story are savages and the "heart" of the jungle. The colonials referring to the natives as "savages" places them inferior to the white men. The Europeans even refer to the African natives as "cannibals--in their place" (23). This is significant because it shows how stereotypical the white men are at the time back when people of other races and colors are seen as animals. The second image of the "heart" of darkness being the jungle becomes more prevalent. It is ironic that a heart, which is usually happy and lively and the center of earthliness, is being compared with darkness and doom. Continuously throughout part 2, the land is described as a "treacherous appeal to the lurking death, to the hidden evil, to the profound darkness of its heart" (22). This jungle where the colonists choose to go, is unpleasant and dangerous to them. In reality, it is the home to many native Africans and families. The onesidedness of the Europeans only allows for them to see the jungle as a disgusting money making haven.

MartySparty
03-19-2015, 10:41 PM
Images which prevail in Part 1 and Part 2 for me are: 1) The use of phrases that symbolize darkness to describe the unknown African terrain. The farther the expedition went up the river the "darker" things got. "We penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness. It was very quiet there" (31). Those images which describe the terrain as scary and mysterious symbolize how we fear things we don't understand. When an area is colonized, it "lights" up because it is laid out in a way that the Europeans can understand. 2) The greed of the Europeans also shines in this novel. It becomes more evident that the reason the Europeans came to Africa in the first place was for the money rather than to "civilize" those countries. "The word ivory would ring in the air for a while---and on we went again into the silence" (31). Ivory was the main source of money, and it looked like it was the only reason those men were actually here. It was the only thing they can get excited about so they can actually talk to each other. They never really cared about the welfare of the Africans and how many Africans it would take to get them their money.

Benkashanchi
03-20-2015, 12:00 AM
While reading part two, i noticed that the idea of stillness/silence was very prevalent. With exception to the time when Marlow and the others were attacked by the natives, almost every aspect of his surroundings was characterized as still or silent. For example, Marlow says stuff like "..we went again into the silence(32)" and "listening to the nearly as appalling and excessive silence(36)." I believe the silence is significant because it magnifies each and every action in the story and allows us to further analyze the importance of other actions. Also, I noticed that the idea of madness is very prevalent. Throughout part 1, the idea of madness was centered around marlow, but it soon encompassed others such as the "mad helmsman, who was shaking the empty rifle and yelling at the shore(41)." As the men journey through the heart of darkness, the uncertainty and silence of what lies ahead of them has disrupted their mental state of mind and has further cemented the notion that they are irrational beings who fail to make substantial progress in any regard.

Jillianbeese
03-20-2015, 12:06 AM

After reading Part II, several images throughout the story such as the depiction of the dense jungle and the comparison between the Europeans and the Africans stood out the most. Joseph Conrad chooses specific words to illustrate the jungle, for example, " going up that river was like traveling back to the earliest beginnings of the world"(22). Images of isolation, thick vegetation, flourishing wildlife, and no imperialism emerges. The jungle represents more than a habitat to the wildlife; it symbolizes the darkness in ones heart. The jungle portrays this darkness by having an unsettling atmosphere, for example, when Marlow and his crew go up river at first they sense an eerie feeling of an attack which later in part two the attack actually happens. Darkness in ones heart is represented in the jungle because the heart can be fooled easily and manipulated.
The other image, the comparison of Europeans and Africans also prevailed throughout the story. Marlow verbally names the Africans as savages however, he describes them with such beauty even though some of the descriptions are intimidating. When Marlow describes the fireman he admires how well kept the fireman is, "he was an improved specimen"(24).
As Marlow continues to describe the fireman, empathy and compassion are felt. On the other hand, Marlow describes how "unwholesome the pilgrims looked"(26) and the fact of idealizing/justifying himself in the story also depicts the other Europeans as savages. Although, physically Europeans seem to be the way Joseph Conrad wants us to think well kept, proper, and have manners, he twists the idea and internally the Europeans are savages throughout the story. Joseph Conrad challenges the stereotypical perceptions of what imperialism and westernization are and distorts them.

Hoyt Crance
03-20-2015, 12:24 AM

After reading part II of Heart of Darkness, I find that there are many images that are significant regarding the interpretation of the story. The first image that I find to prevail throughout the story is the old and almost run down condition of the river. In part two, Conrad constantly refers to the river as being prehistoric and neglected. Furthermore, Conrad also describes Marlow's journey as "traveling back in time to the earliest beginnings of the world." Conrad describes the condition of the river in order to depict the basic lifestyle that many African villages abide by. Conrad describes the river this way in order to show how the colonization of other parts of Africa has corrupted and ruined the lives of many people. The description of the riverbed not allowing "the brilliance of sunshine" is used to help the reader and public realize that not everything that was happening in Africa was good and that behind the scenes, a vast majority of the African villagers were truly depressed yet they were too afraid to revolt against the more advanced white population in Africa. Another image that I have found to prevail throughout Part II of Heart of Darkness is the way Conrad makes Kurtz appear to be a God. Throughout the voyage, Marlow meets new people who all tend to share the same common belief: Kurtz is the greatest and most honorable man in all of Africa. Marlow solidifies this interpretation during his rant in the middle of the battle with the Cannibals. In this rant, Marlow makes it known that Kurtz seems to be the owner or responsible for almost everything that is associated with Africa and the harvesting of ivory. The description of Kurtz is imperative for the meaning of the story because this description helps portray many themes involved in this book, especially greed. Kurtz's god-like status represents greed because almost everyone lower than his position wish that they would be in his position and wish they had the power that he has.

Joannemachin
03-20-2015, 12:37 AM
Two images that seem to have prevailed through the story so far, is the imagery of Natives and their savagery, as well as the imagery of the surroundings, especially the fog, in which Marlow travels through.

Throughout Marlow's journey, there has always been a presence of "white fog". I believe this symbolises the extent to which Marlow has no idea what's in store for him in Africa. “When the sun rose there was a white fog, very warm and clammy, and more binding than the night. It did not shift or drive; it was just there, standing all around you like something solid” (25). The fog obscures his view on several occasions, leaving Marlow to wonder what, or who, is beyond. The fog may also symbolise the savagery that is lurking within the wilderness, whilst at the same time hiding it from the view of Marlow whilst he is on his voyage. “I observed with assumed innocence that no man was safe from trouble in this world” (25). The inability to be able to see through the fog, caused Marlow to become quite scared of what was beyond. Being that Marlow is from Europe, he was also unaware of what to look out for, as it was entirely new setting and atmosphere for him to be involved in. The wilderness was also extremely hard to navigate through, “Still, I had also judged the jungle of both banks quite impenetrable— and yet, eyes were in it, eyes that had seen us” (27). Savagery is a prominent image in the novella. From the start, the African Natives are referred to as “black shapes” (12), “..black shadows of disease and starvation” (12), and “black figures” (17). This automatically dehumanises these people, seemingly portraying them as just bodies, rather than real people. The Natives are also portrayed as cannibals. “Restraint! What possible restraint? Was it superstition, disgust, patience, fear— or some kind of primitive honor? No fear can stand up to hunger…” (27). In this quote, Marlow is faced with the savagery of the natives, and is amazed by their control of their impulses. Although the natives are hungry, they do not attack Marlow’s boat, as he clearly expected. Each time Marlow encounters the Natives, however, his views on their ways of living, change. Marlow is becoming more and more accepting of them, as the novella continues.

Easy
03-20-2015, 02:46 AM
I find that the fog, which is mentioned at the beginning of the book in part one, is a prevailing symbol as it turns up I'm part two as well and with more weight. The fog found in the begining of part one, which is the future in the storynof Marlow's life, is not so much of fog as it is a haze and in part two it is which and dense and but represents a distraction form the mission, the fog stops everything, when it rolls in it takes over and is the only thing bring mentioned. Another major symbol that shows up in part two is the river. It represents mans regression as he moves farther from 'society' or 'civilization' and how people become primitive, both in the scope of the lives of individuals but also it is what leads to the atrocities that the Europeans committed whist in Africa and the Congo.

cdowning
03-20-2015, 03:38 AM
One of the most prominent images is definitely the natives that are often times call savages, even Marlow jokes about himself being savage because he was "standing and working all day". Towards the beginning of the book when he isn't really involved and doesn't see what is going on first hand he has little to no sympathy for the natives, but as he travels farther and farther into "the heart of darkness" he begins to feel more sympathy for them as he realized how evil the things the Europeans are doing to them. Another image that sounds out is the wilderness, we hear the central station manager and uncle discuss the wilderness and shortly after they die in the wilderness. We also get a description of Marlow and it describes him as being changed by it. Marlow also has been experiencing times in which it all feels like a dream so this is changing Marlow as well and also his opinion on the natives is changing as he travels more and more through the wilderness. This also proves the doctors point before he even left that the journey changes people mentally.

Ethan Hanson
03-20-2015, 03:39 AM
Two Images that really stood out to me was the fog and the Congo River. Fog is a sort of corollary to darkness. Fog not only obscures but distorts vision. Marlow ends up being stuck in the fog and ends up getting attacked by the natives "'Will they attack?' whispered an awed voice. 'We will be all butchered in this fog,' murmured another. The faces twitched with the strain, the hands trembled slightly, the eyes forgot to wink".Marlow struggles to face the Congo river because of its poor and rough environment, however it shows the current situation he has gotten himself into, furthermore Marlow describes the river as divided, keeping himself away from natives and Kurtz.It allows Marlow to see both sides of the situation."Its current makes travel upriver slow and difficult, but the flow of water makes travel downriver, back toward “civilization,” rapid and seemingly inevitable"

elle
03-24-2015, 11:46 PM
The two images I find in part II that prevail throughout the story are, one, the more vivid descriptions that Conrad gives us of the Congo, and, two, even more descriptions about the natives. When Marlow is moving up the river on the steamer, Conrad writes, "Going up that river was like traveling back to the earliest beginnings of the world, when vegetation rioted on the earth and the big trees were kings. An empty stream, a great silence, an impenetrable forest. The air was warm, thick, heavy, sluggish. There was no joy in the brilliance of the sunshine"(73). With these more vivid descriptions, Conrad gives us a better understanding of what Marlow is seeing and feeling through his experience traveling along the Congo river. Compared to part I, Conrad is much more descriptive when it comes to the wilderness in part II.

In part II, Conrad gives us a much better view and image in our heads of what the natives look, sound, and act like. When the attack by the natives against the steamer is happening, Marlow describes natives he see's, saying, "I had to lean right out to swing the heavy shutter, and I saw a face amongst the leaves on the level with my own, looking at me very fierce and steady; and then suddenly, as though the veil had been removed from my eyes, I made out, deep in the tangled gloom, naked breasts, arms, legs, glaring eyes,-the bush was swarming with human limbs in movement, glistening, of bronze color"(86). This is just one of the many points in part two that Conrad gives us very eccentric and savage-like descriptions of the natives. It is significant because it gives us a better view of what these people are actually like, and not just what the Europeans made them out to be to Marlow in the beginning, before he'd seen it for himself. These descriptions give us a solidified characterization of what the natives of the Congo are like.

rileygerdau
03-24-2015, 11:51 PM
Two images that I found to prevail throughout the story after part II are Marlow's surroundings and the savagery of the natives.The darkness that Marlow sees continues to grow darker and darker as he goes deeper into Africa. As Marlow travels further into Africa he seems to be going insane. "We penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness. It was very quiet there. At night sometimes the roll of drums behind the curtain of trees would run up the river and remain sustained faintly, as if hovering in the air high over our heads, till the first break of day." This is significant because it describes the scenery he sees as he enters the "heart of darkness". "Perhaps you will think it passing strange this regret for a savage who was no more account than a grain of sand in a black Sahara". This idea that all of the natives are worthless is consistent throughout the entire novel. The death of a native seems to have no effect on any of the men and they don't seem to care at all.

anastasiagrant
03-25-2015, 12:18 AM
The two images that seem to prevail throughout the story are the darkness and the light. The darkness at first seems to be everything that Africa is, the jungle, the savages, and even the river leading into the heart of darkness. As the story develops, we see that the first impressions of darkness are actually good and that civilization is the evil and the true darkness. Despite white people seeming to be the light with all of their advances, they turn out to be the evil entering the darkness and spreading throughout. It is a journey into the heart of darkness in reality but symbolically into the heart of light, purity, and innocence as we experience the white men arriving with darkness. Marlow and his companions however are intruders, spreading darkness the further they enter on a quest for more ivory, which is on the outside white, but its consequences are dark. Marlow states, “we penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness” (Conrad 23). They are traveling to collect ivory as they go deeper there is more of it and its collection and loss will cause more darkness for the savages through their forced toil.

spencercornman
03-25-2015, 12:57 AM
The images that seem to prevail throughout Heart of Darkness are the contrast of light and dark and the wilderness. Conrad seems to associate the light and the dark with the good and the bad that accompany Marlow in the book. For example Conrad pairs death with darkness with the 'dark sullen faces' (not just referring to their natural skin color). Darkness is used as an adjective for things in the story even when it is bright out from the sun. For example, Conrad refers to England and Africa as dark which didn't suit the context, but meant that they were of uncertainty and evil. In the dark, it is hard to see and be cognizant of one's whereabouts. Conrad uses this idea with Marlow having trouble seeing other people mentally rather than physically and have difficulty understanding their motives. Another image that is repeated in Heart of Darkness is the wilderness. Marlow doesn't need direct communication with individuals and rather seeks out his information through observation and eavesdropping, in this case observing his environment. He refers to the jungle as he goes through it on the steam boat as if it is a place in the past and that he is going back in time to a less civilized Earth with savages and disorder (natives). A quote that ties together the two images that are prevailed in the book is “The brown current ran swiftly out of the heart of darkness, bearing us down towards the sea with twice the speed of our upward progress…" Conrad explains that the river that they are traveling on is quickly leaving the jungle (wilderness) which encapsulates the darkness, or the unclearness and savagery.

Skylarcrenshaw
03-25-2015, 10:04 PM
After part 2 there are several images that keep reoccurring for me. One of which is the analogy of the river taking us back in time. As we move along the river the denser the jungle becomes and the less whites me encounter. Many believe the human race began in Africa, so as we move through time to where it is only the” savages” it gives us a glimpse of how we all started. Also, as we go deeper into the river the whites become less and less “civilized” and more cruel. Their mentality has gone back to an “eat or be eaten” mentality. The white men believe they should overtake and control the blacks so that they do not do the same. They are more concerned about life and death and are constantly in fear, something that rarely happens in modern society. Another image that stands out to be is the brutality of the white men on the black men. They are seen working the black men to literal death and giving them slim resources to live off of. This is why I believe this book is called “heart of darkness” because all the white pioneers hearts go black and cold, while all the natives hearts become hopeless and weak.

maxwellspearson
03-25-2015, 10:12 PM
The two images that seem to prevail are the image of the savages and the image of the rivets.
The savages are described as cannibals and uneducated. The Europeans feel the need to civilize them. The Europeans look down on the blacks and use their ignorance against them to do labor for them.
The images of the rivets laying all over the place show how inefficient everything is over in Africa. The Europeans are not there to help the blacks they are simply there to exploit them. They only care about quick results. A similar example to the rivets is the bucket with a hole in it. They don't get new buckets because the savages lives don't matter. They'd rather save a buck than a life. Its a frugal business operation they are running.

taylorspruth
03-25-2015, 10:19 PM
In the Heart of Darkness after Part 2, as Marlow travels deeper into the jungle and The Heart of Darkness and discovers Kurtz which leads to more meaning and background of the characters discovered. One image that I am seeing constantly is the mention of Ivory and Kurtz's great fascination with it. The men of the boat discover that Kurtz is sick and try to somehow plot against him. Another image that I am seeing is the mention of symbols, the symbols for Kurtz like the letters found in his home, and the symbol of his lover and cousin. Kurtz belives that everything belongs to im and that no one else should discover it and his secrets.

Chris N.
03-25-2015, 10:46 PM
In part II of Heart of Darkness the two images that I see are superiority and civilization associated with the Europeans and animal-like savagery associated with the African natives. The Europeans are described as superior because they are more advanced than the natives and really take advantage of their ignorance when trying to gain personal wealth in Africa. They continue to treat the natives as if they were slaves and use them for their own personal benefit in collecting resources. The natives have truly fallen into darkness thinking that the Europeans purpose is to help them grow as a people and see them as god-like figures but they themselves are still described as savages. These two images of both people are significant because of the irony that through out the story their roles change and the Europeans start becoming the ones who are more uncivilized and animal-like letting greed consume their way of life and occupation in Africa.

KLyle
03-25-2015, 11:01 PM
Two of the main images I found to resurface more in Part III was the idea of darkness. Conrad goes on in Part III to show Kurtz in some senses as dark, and to show his "Intended" as dark, as well as telling again how the forest and the heart of the forest is so dark. I also believe he spends more time in Part III with a different perspective on the Natives, knowing Kurtz's view of them and respecting them more than he did in the first couple acts, where he views them as savage and harsh creatures.

sidshah
03-25-2015, 11:10 PM
One image is how Marlows views of savage and uncivilized come into play, and also when he frequently brings up light/dark imagery. Marlows's constant restating of all of these components force us to view them in the opposite light, which in turn opens our eyes to what destruction humans can bring when thinking they are benefiting a people. When Marlow describes the people as having savage ways, he describes them as almost living more rational and peacefully than the whites controlling them. "She was savage and superb, wild-eyed and magnificent" Marlow still sees the good in the people and constantly ties the words civilized into sentences that describe atrocities being committed by whites.

mmurai
03-25-2015, 11:14 PM
Two of the most important images in Part 2 of the heart of darkness where those of the wilderness and the savages. Wilderness comes to symbolize a fortress for Africans that represents the country. Marlow even says that he "judged the jungle of both banks quite impenetrable" this is important because it tells the reader that imperialism and colonization will not succeed in Africa and have made little progress. The other image is that of savagery and how it grows the closer Marlow gets to the inner station. He calls natives cannibals however he is a hypocrite because part o his crew are savages and they are capable of completing the task that is given to them. He becomes fond of members of his crew and we can see that Marlow learns to respect some of them