PDA

View Full Version : Angelo

Unregistered
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
would angelo be hated if he did not do the acts himself in the past? he is trying to bring a stronger sense of morality to vienna and should be given his props for that

Unregistered
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
he is doing what he was commissioned to do.<br>Escalus says, "If any in Vienna be of worth/To undergo such ample grace and honor,/It is Lord Angelo" I.I.23-25.<br>we discussed this very issue in class: the virtues and vices of the different characters in the play.<br>Angelo's virtues:<br>i. he respects law<br>ii. he respects authority (Duke, Duke as Friar)<br>iii. he is horrified by what happens to himself = accountability; he accepts his <br> punishment<br>hope this helps!

Megan
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm trying to write a convincing interpretation on Angelo. I want to show how he is really a good person despite the popular view that he is heartless, cold, and hypocritical. I know that's a lot to counter. :) Anyhow, if anyone can pick out some textual references that I could take a look at and interpret, that would be great. Thank you so much for your thoughts.

byquist
06-04-2005, 10:01 PM
I, like you, look for the good in Angelo, and see some, or quite a bit. He went "over the top" or "got over his head" ala Hamlet's talk about every man has his "one paticular fault" to Horatio. It also was once pointed out to me that early Angelo asks, "Hath he a sister?" This inquiry begins his unknown-to-be downfall. Perhaps he wanted to do a little practicing of practicing the law, or, he has a curious side and as they say "curiosity kills the cat."

In the soloquy after Isabella leaves, he evaluates himself and it is as if it's not him, but an outside power, that has overtaken him. "O cunning enemy that to catch a saint, with saints dost bate thy hook." Also he is in amazement at this whole ordeal: "Ever till now when men were fond I smiled and wondered how."

It's like the issue and force here is beyond just simple personal or physical or emotional need and want. This is big-time power over him he's never known before. It's not of his pre-meditated making.

Who know, if he had just slowed down and proceeded slowly and discretely, they may have even been a match (there's nothing especially credible in the match between the Duke and Isabella some have said). Seems like the exteme disciplines and exactitudes of Angelo and Isabella might have been a possible go. But that would be a diff. play.

His second monologue opening that scene, he is a gonner, he's done in before she walks in the door.

Then his third monologue is full of regret, guilt, shame.

He's basically been through the wrack. He made a major error, to put it mildly; well I guess two since he thinks the brother is executed too. No small errors, but it seems to arise out of fate rather than him. Fate has delt him a bad hand of cards which in his natural state I don't think he'd encounter.

Just a final thought I heard in a class or something once, that the only reason he has to face this issue is because he has been such an extremist, a prude, totally puritanical. Escalus, I guess, says something like "blood scarce flows in his veins," ie. he's cold as a fish. But this extreme self-control, when it does lose control, looses it in a big way.

kelby_lake
01-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Many of Shakespeare's characters are puritans- Iago and Hamlet are both very vocal about lust but when it comes down to it, they're puritans.

And to be fair, Angelo's principles and power have been shaken. It's the common Shakespearean theme of public life vs. private life.

Dipen Guha
02-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Angelo, though morally guilty of hypocrisy, meanness and treachery is not so much a villain as a self-deceiver. Authority in spite of his protests is forced upon him. He is placed in a position calculated to actualise his worst potentialities. After exposure, in a guilty self-committal mood he is genuinely penitent.
"I crave death more willingly than mercy
"Tis my deserving and I do entreat it"
He must have realized that his public image is tarnished beyond repair his personality as he lived it for himself and the world destroyed. He virtually embraces death and if he survives, it is through the good offices of two women, the one he deserted, and the other he victimised.

kelby_lake
07-31-2010, 09:58 AM
I think Angelo's one of Shakespeare's most interesting characters actually. He's one of the few Shakespearean villains which is not bad but rather deluded, having gone too far with a belief.

kelby_lake
11-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Bump :)

cafolini
11-09-2011, 07:18 PM
I think Angelo's one of Shakespeare's most interesting characters actually. He's one of the few Shakespearean villains which is not bad but rather deluded, having gone too far with a belief.

I agree. Believers must eventually leap to think they have knowledge, because they must dispose of any possible knowledge to keep their beliefs. But eventually they crack apostolic.

kelby_lake
11-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Angelo's beliefs are untenable. As Pompey says to Escalus: "Does your worship mean to spay and geld all the youth in the city?[...] Truly then, I think they will to it." Angelo berates Isabella for not behaving as her sex should but he also denies his sex, believing that he is above lust. Lust renders him powerless and until he consummates his desire, he remains in the power of Isabella.