PDA

View Full Version : twelfth night the best in modern entertainment

bobby shaftoe
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
twelfth night is the best play in modern entertainment it has all the aspects of a great new modern film. anyone think they should make a modern version like they did with Romeo and Juliett? email me your opinions or just for a chat. thanks. bobby shaftoe.

robertllynch
03-18-2006, 11:22 AM
They sort of just did. Go watch "She's the Man" and you'll easily spot the similarities.

Nymphamadria
03-31-2006, 04:42 AM
Haven't seen it, but I've seen the trailers... a movie "inspired" by Twelfth Night :P... I'm looking forward to seing it :P

I think R&J worked well as a modern day movie (with shakespearen dialogue and everything), and Twelfth night might not work as well (with the dialogue)... I mean I guess we'd never know until attempted, but I think tragedies seem to work well with movies (once again- keeping with the dialogue)...

Adaptions like 10 Things I hate about you (Taming of the Shrew) and She's the man (Twelfth Night) work well as teen comedies. It's good to see people converting these beautifully written and entertaining concepts into something a little more understandable for people who don't read shakespeare. I mean it's hard for me to convince my brother that Twelfth Night is blooming hilarious or that he'd really really enjoy Much Ado About Nothing, when he'd barely understand the dialogue or couldn't be bugger to read. These attempts at least give people the idea that Shakespeare's concepts aren't all as boring as generally depicted.

However I quite enjoyed Twelfth Night the original movie, their performances were wonderful. Helena Bonham Carter is gorgeous! :)

Potterbilia
04-16-2006, 08:33 AM
The problem with 'She's the Man' is that it is only 'inspired' by Twelfth Night (which I also happen to love), not actually based on it. The only similarities are the name, the fact she disguises herself as her twin brother, and the resulting couples. Although it is quite a funny movie, I think it would be going a bit far to actually call it Twelfth Night. However, it is still a good movie, and I recommend seeing it :)

¤dreamer¤
06-04-2006, 12:35 AM
It was an interesting movie, though. I was in a production of Twelfth Night, so when She's the Man came out the cast got together to go see it.

Woland
06-04-2006, 04:50 AM
You gotta love a hard working Fool like Feste. :lol:

starbuck
03-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Do not waste your time with "She's the man" which is the teeny bopper version of the bard's play. I heard it was awful...and it was. The best adaptation I have seen was the version with Helena Bonham Cartar or the Kenneth Branagh directed one for the BBC.

silverduck2day
04-23-2007, 03:51 PM
The best adaptation I have seen was the version with Helena Bonham Cartar or the Kenneth Branagh directed one for the BBC.

I've just seen the Trevor Nunn 1996 one with Helena Bohman carter and thought is was absolutely outstandily excellent!!! I never even knew the story before seeing the film a few weeks ago and have been looking everywhere for all the info i can get on Twelfth Night - that's why i've just joined this forum!!!

Never been a big fan of studying Shakespeare before, but after loving this film, i've been studying the play and keep on thinking how well it's put across in the film.

RobynLynne
07-31-2007, 11:50 PM
ok so does anyone know the book twelfth night SUPER GOOD, i need help on an exam that i have over this book that is due REALLY soon, please send me a message and let me know!! I would greatly appreciate it, im really desperate right now!

Bubble734
02-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Shes the Man is a really good film with lots of similarities to twelfth night. I only realised Shes the Man was a modern version of twelfth night when a girl in my class at school told me, but I hadn't read twefth night. I would recommend shes the man, its very good. :nod: