PDA

View Full Version : Not Fair

Verity
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I am doing a project on William Shakespeare and " As you like it " is one of the topics i decided to study .I found some of the words very difficult to understand , i think you should have a different version for younger readers i.e 11 my age.

<b>Admin Response:</b> Try reading <a href = "http://www.online-literature.com/lamb/tales_shakespeare/">Tales From Shakespeare by Charles Lamb</a>.

Rosalind
01-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Try finding an annotated copy of the original text with lots of good footnotes. This should explain not just the vocabulary, but also all the references which modern readers miss out on, and will make reading a lot more enjoyable. I read 'As You Like It' for the first time when I was just a little bit younger than you, so I understand your predicament. There are some nice retellings out there, but don't miss out on the original text! Here's a suggestion: read the scenes you have trouble with (or even the ones you just like) aloud, acting out all the different characters. It's fun, and it helps put everything in context.

Charles Darnay
01-22-2006, 11:04 PM
I never understood why school's would start Shakespear at such a young age. I don't mean that young kids (11) can't understand Shakespear, although this may come close to truth, but there is so much depth to his work that requires some analitical skills that is not taught until a much higher grade. The problem is that if introduced to Shakespear at a young age, the child, unable to understand it, is completely turned off Shakespear, and will never be able to find interest in his works when they are old enough to appreciate them.

emily655321
01-23-2006, 07:27 PM
I think that's untrue. My 6th grade class (ages 11-12) read abridged versions of Macbeth and Romeo & Juliet, and it kindled my interest in the Bard. But it was taught well for the ages of the students; we acted it out with costumes, and the text was simpler and also less bawdy. I agree that making children analyze the original text is a bit questionable.

Xamonas Chegwe
01-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Try to see the play performed if at all possible. This wiill bring it to life, especially if you have already read it.

If you can't find a live production, there is a fairly good version available on DVD. It's a BBC version, made in 1978 starring Helen Mirren. Try Amazon.

Kenneth Branagh has a new version in post-production - no release date yet - but it probably won't be in the cinemas in time to be of any help to you.

Failing this, there are, as others have said, annotated versions and abridged versions available.

littleLindkvist
06-03-2006, 06:47 AM
If I was you I would then try spark notes.. the have a modern translation in english.. think that would help a great deal since they also have the original version next to it!!! that way you can check the particular sentence for the meaning