PDA

View Full Version : A Great Book

Carmilla
09-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Hi!

I've read this book 3 times already and never seem to get tired of it; I find it fascinating. Its atmosphere, its plot, everything about it appeals to me.

Have you read it? What are your opinions about it?

Carmilla
04-05-2016, 12:50 PM
This is a book about two brothers who don't like each other -- to put it mildly. The story has a lot of suspense, and the other characters are very interesting too. I liked very much Mr. Mackellar and Mrs. Henry.

bounty
04-05-2016, 07:00 PM
carmilla, I love Stevenson---but its been so long since ive read the master of ballantrae that I don't remember it at all---except that I know I liked it.

his kidnapped is one of my favorite books. treasure island and the black arrow were enjoyable reads too.

Carmilla
04-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Hello bounty!!

I love Stevenson too. In fact, he's one of my favourite writers. I liked Kidnapped very much, but I liked The Black Arrow and Treasure Island even better. The Master of Ballantrae is my favourite book, as you'll find out if you read my profile. :) I haven't read Catriona, have you?

bounty
04-06-2016, 02:16 PM
I have indeed read catriona---a thoughtful gift from friends knowing I was a Stevenson fan and that I was looking for book (and not succeeding in my low budget methods!)

its billed as the sequel to kidnapped and it is in this regard---some of the characters are the same and what happens in catriona happens after what happened in kidnapped, but my goodness in terms of plot/story, its markedly different.

I think worth the read, but very unlike all the other Stevenson ive read.

Carmilla
04-07-2016, 12:03 PM
I'll read Catriona in the future, I'm sure. :)
Another book I've read by Stevenson is Prince Otto, have you read it?

bounty
04-07-2016, 04:15 PM
I haven't carmilla, but I did recently pick up an inland voyage and travels with a donkey and im looking forward to reading that...

Carmilla
04-09-2016, 01:47 PM
I haven't read them, but enjoy!!

bounty
04-09-2016, 05:47 PM
hmmm...tell you what carmilla, if I remember (am trying right this moment to tuck it away in my long term memory!), when I finish the book im on right now, i'll read them, come back here and let you know what I think...

change of gears---think im going to go instead with Jekyll & hyde...

Carmilla
04-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Yes, Jekyll & Hyde!! Brill!!

bounty
04-13-2016, 12:39 PM
im on the last chapter, ~13 pgs---will come back when im finished and tell you lots...

bounty
04-15-2016, 09:18 AM
so carmilla, im finished with Jekyll and hyde---the book has other stories in it but im not convinced yet i'll read all of them. I might cherry pick a few though.

it was a pleasurable, though challenging read. sometimes Stevenson's sentences are so wordy and complex, it required extra focus and an intellectual labor that reading contemporary best sellers doesn't elicit.

i was thinking there was going to be more carnage and was surprised to find hyde only committed one murder.

i think the book would be an excellent one to use in a study that talks about good and evil.

i learned some things about Stevenson in the introduction that are worth sharing. apparently, even though Jekyll and hyde came after treasure island, the author of the introduction's position is that the former was the salvation of Stevenson's career as a writer. that even though treasure island eventually sold well as a book, it hadn't been popular in its original form as a serial. and since the audience seemed to be more "juvenile" it had limited sales.

maybe more importantly, apparently Jekyll and hyde wasn't doing all that well either and it wasn't until an anonymous critic in a popular newspaper praised it that the book took off and started to introduce Stevenson as a writer to the public consciousness. later in the same year after Jekyll and hyde, he wrote kidnapped, kind of sealing the deal so to speak.

the intro author also talks about how Jekyll and hyde came into existence---its a pretty neat story...

Danik 2016
04-15-2016, 10:02 AM
I also like Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I guess it is one of the best studies of its time on good x evil. In the 19th century the actions where often implied rather than shown. But the authors, like Dickens, often were masters in creating the corresponding atmosphere for their villains.
Bounty, maybe you have the story of the "Devil in the Bottle" in you collection. I think you would like it. There is a lot of suspense and some humour. But I donīt know if I quoted the title correctly.

Carmilla
04-15-2016, 11:59 AM
so carmilla, im finished with Jekyll and hyde---the book has other stories in it but im not convinced yet i'll read all of them. I might cherry pick a few though.

If you have Olalla read it, you won't regret it. :)

it was a pleasurable, though challenging read. sometimes Stevenson's sentences are so wordy and complex, it required extra focus and an intellectual labor that reading contemporary best sellers doesn't elicit.

Yes, reading Stevenson and other Victorians is difficult, but I find it very rewarding. :)

i was thinking there was going to be more carnage and was surprised to find hyde only committed one murder.

i think the book would be an excellent one to use in a study that talks about good and evil.

i learned some things about Stevenson in the introduction that are worth sharing. apparently, even though Jekyll and hyde came after treasure island, the author of the introduction's position is that the former was the salvation of Stevenson's career as a writer. that even though treasure island eventually sold well as a book, it hadn't been popular in its original form as a serial. and since the audience seemed to be more "juvenile" it had limited sales.

maybe more importantly, apparently Jekyll and hyde wasn't doing all that well either and it wasn't until an anonymous critic in a popular newspaper praised it that the book took off and started to introduce Stevenson as a writer to the public consciousness. later in the same year after Jekyll and hyde, he wrote kidnapped, kind of sealing the deal so to speak.

the intro author also talks about how Jekyll and hyde came into existence---its a pretty neat story...

Thanks for sharing all this information!!

bounty
04-15-2016, 07:20 PM
youre welcome carmilla---I left you in suspense though about how the story came into existence!

danik I did a quick internet search for "devil in the bottle." the internet refers to "the bottle imp." my collection doesn't have that one in it.

it does have Olalla though carmilla, and, well, apparently my introduction author nor Stevenson (according to the former), liked really well. he says for "some reason the story does not come off." i'll have to give it a go and let you know...

at the moment though, im into the da vinci code and loving it....

Danik 2016
04-15-2016, 09:42 PM
Just confirming: the correct name is "The bottle imp".

Carmilla
04-16-2016, 10:35 AM
youre welcome carmilla---I left you in suspense though about how the story came into existence!

Tell us about it when you can. ;)

bounty
04-16-2016, 03:07 PM
laughs---I was hoping you would wanna look it up!

the story goes it more or less came to him in a dream while he was in his sick bed. he apparently castigated someone for waking him up in the middle of a "thrilling episode." he set to writing and wrote the story in three days, but his wife read it, and said he has been so intent on writing a thriller, he missed the mark when it came to the underlying moral or allegory. Stevenson then burnt his original transcript and wrote his second draft in the subsequent three days.

Carmilla
04-17-2016, 10:03 AM
laughs---I was hoping you would wanna look it up!

the story goes it more or less came to him in a dream while he was in his sick bed. he apparently castigated someone for waking him up in the middle of a "thrilling episode." he set to writing and wrote the story in three days, but his wife read it, and said he has been so intent on writing a thriller, he missed the mark when it came to the underlying moral or allegory. Stevenson then burnt his original transcript and wrote his second draft in the subsequent three days.

Thank you for posting it. You made me remember that I had read about it already. I think it was in 'Robert Louis Stevenson Treasury' by Alanna Knight. :)