PDA

View Full Version : Am I using "is" and "are" correctly???

tuboludo
06-26-2014, 07:11 AM
Everyone is because every-one, one is, correct?

But,

They are, because they are many, correct?

I am not sure if I have done the right thing in this sentence:

“…since everyone here is listening in on it and in that sense are taking part of it.”

(Whole sentence below if needed)

“Not because I want you to feel better about what you consider to be lies, but to make me feel better about this whole ridiculous discussion since everyone here is listening in on it and in that sense are taking part of it.”

108 fountains
06-26-2014, 10:12 AM
It's one of those cases where it "sounds" right, but it's not. If you exclude the extraneous words, you have "everyone... is listening... and... are taking part..." and then you can hear that it's not right.
You could re-write it several ways, but the simples way to fix it would be to just delete the word "are". Then you have “…since everyone here is listening in on it and in that sense taking part of it.”
(probably better to say "taking part in it.")
Hope this helps.

tuboludo
06-27-2014, 02:41 AM
Thanks a lot 108 fountains ;)

Pumpkin337
06-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Actually I'm sorry but 108 Fountains is incorrect and your original sentence is correct. What you need to do is fill in the missing pronouns.

Not because I want you to feel better about what you consider to be lies, but to make me feel better about this whole ridiculous discussion since everyone here is listening in on it and in that sense [THEY] are taking part o̶f̶ in it.

'of' however is incorrect and it should be 'in'.

So your sentence should be:

Not because I want you to feel better about what you consider to be lies; but to make me feel better about this whole ridiculous discussion since everyone here is listening in on it and in that sense are taking part in it.

You partake of but take part in. Just because English is peculiar. :)

tuboludo
07-02-2014, 01:44 AM
Yeah, I am from Denmark, so English is only my 2nd language (if not 3rd or 4th considering that Danish is similar to Norwegian and Swedish) … Learning all the time, as the saying goes :crazy:

Thanks Pumpkin

Pumpkin337
07-02-2014, 03:29 AM
no worries :D