PDA

View Full Version : Weena

kev67
06-05-2014, 04:09 AM
SPOILER:

Poor Weena :bawling: She semed to just die of fright; thus was spared slaughtering by the Morlocks. I am not satisfied that the time traveller put enough effort into finding her. He said he thought her body must be somewhere in the woods. Why didn't he retrace his steps? If she was dead when he tried to wake her then she could hardly have moved by herself.

Weena seems like a small child. She has the mind of a five-year-old. I wonder whether the doctor in Dr Who views his companions like that.

kev67
07-05-2014, 05:32 PM
I liked the 60s film version of Weena. She was not quite so childlike as in the book. There was something a little disturbing about the relationship between the Time Traveller and Weena in the book from today's perspective. She was so obviously like a child, although, to be fair, that is the way the Time Traveller regards her. In the 1960 film, the relationship is romantic. Weena is a beautiful, young woman, but a very dim one. Intellectually, she seems about ten years old. I wonder whether if the Time Traveller had brought her back to 2014, he might have got into trouble for exploiting a vulnerable adult.

There was a 2002 film too in which Weena was renamed Mara. Supposedly it is not very good. I have not watched it but I wonder whether she was quite so stupid in that film.