PDA

View Full Version : The last funeral but one

kev67
05-29-2014, 03:02 PM
This happens near the end of the book, so don't read if you don't want it given away.

Poor old Mr Hale died while he was visiting his friend, Mr Bell, in Oxford. Not that he's very old, actually, only in his fifties. While Mr Bell and Mr Thornton attended his funeral, Margaret Hale seems not to have. She was understandably very distressed; so much so, that her aunt was called up to Milton to look after her. I was a little surprised that Mr Hale's body was not brought back to Milton, because surely he would have wanted to be buried beside his wife. Perhaps that was not the custom then. I would have thought it was possible, because wouldn't embalming have kept the body from deteriorating for long enough? Maybe the railway companies refused to transport corpses.

LitNetIsGreat
05-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Hey Kev, have you seen this adaptation of the novel?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-South-Complete-BBC-Series/dp/B0007N1BBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401404908&sr=8-1&keywords=north+and+south

I would really recommend it and at that price a bargain...

kev67
05-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Some of the Booktubers reviewed both the DVD and the book. The two I watched who reviewed both preferred the DVD.

kev67
06-01-2014, 05:24 PM
I bought the DVD since it was only £5. It's good, but it's different, which messes with my memory. For a start, I am sure (although I will have to check) that Mr Thornton did not beat up an employee for smoking. That seems like a very strange thing for a magistrate to do. Many of the actors are not exactly as I imagined. Pauline Quirk is not like I imagined Dixon, although I do like her in the role. More negatively, the actor who plays Mr Higgins is nothing like I imagined him to be. He does not speak with the same accent. He does not have the same edginess. Another thing, Higgins tells Margaret people around Milton don't like people just coming around without being invited. That's rubbish; they were always barging in one another's houses. That was one of the things that most surprised me. I am only part way through the first half, but I prefer the book.

kev67
06-01-2014, 06:08 PM
I imagined North and South, especially the people of Milton, to be more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy2N_HU6Hr4