PDA

View Full Version : Grumio's role

Unregistered
04-17-2003, 01:00 AM
you may be the dumbest person that i know and thank you for your brief moment of reading my reply!

Unregistered
02-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Grumio provides humour by being exceptionally obtuse. He intentially misunderstands to frustrate Petrucchio.

Unregistered
03-23-2005, 10:20 PM
My friend, that's the great thing about being an actor. You get to make the choice. Sure, the part is written a specific way, but your interpretation as an actor could play Grumio as a "smart ***" or a "dumb ***". Break a leg!

Unregistered
04-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Grumio is actually quite a deep character- He is wise whilst being in the form of a fool.<br>This is generally the same for all of Shakespeare's Fools and General Idiots- This person, Grumio in one scene, seems to be making a mockery of Kate and rather stupid in his dealings, but the underlying messages conveyed in him are REALLY strong- What I'm trying to say is, Grumio may be DUMB, but he's not STUPID.<br>I have played the role of Grumio for the Shakesp[eare Festival in New Zealand, and I found that you can have LOTs of fun with this character, you know, you can have him drunk and all happily merry like we had him, BUT, the lines he has shows the audience how quite wise he is- The fact that he can see through all of the capering and stand-offish behaviour coming from Pertruchio to try to teach his wife a lesson, and the way he helps Petruchio achieve this by adding his own tortuous antics, give Grumio a rather wise air about him.<br>Overall, Grumio Is a rather foolish character, he should be portrayed as so BUT! Be that as it may, when there is obvious logic and an obvious displayal of understanding on a DEEPER LEVEL, such as when he is talking about the disastrous ride home from the wedding in Act 4; Scene 1, one must show the seriousness of the situation, but give a comic- typically-Grumoi touch to the part.<br>YOu will have to find your area of balance with the Grumio part, and THEN and only THEN will you know how to interpret the role.<br>Above all, try to have FUN with this role as Grumio is a FUN and LIVELY as well as HUMORUOS character, and that is by far the best (And most AWARD WINNING *wink,wink**hint, hint*)) role to have in all of Shakespeares' plays.

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
My drama class is presenting the Taming of the Shrew; I have the part of Grumio - does anyone know exactly how he provides the comic relief? Does he try to be funny, when he's not - or is he just really foolish?