PDA

View Full Version : Character Research

kate
10-23-2002, 01:00 AM
hi there 'j'<br>i am currently doing an english degree, and am currently studying 'the taming of the shrew'. what a marvellous play!<br>now, as to your question, i'm pretty sure that madness isn't really a factor in the play. kate's treatment is appauling (even if it is supposed to be a comedy, there is an undertone of tragedy don't you think?) and i'm sure it is intentional. petruchio may have a rather big opinion of himself ('i was born to tame you') but his actions seem both rational and well thought through.do you think he sees kate as a challenge? don't forget that, when he is depriving kate of food and sleep, he is also abstaining from both himself.this makes his actions seem less cuel and more methodical in my humble opinion. anyway, i hope this helps in some small way.<br>i hope the play goes well, kate

Unregistered
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
yes i completely agree with the last comment, katerina is treated appaulingly. I think Petruccio is very bigited and full of his own importants.

J Russo
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I have been cast as Petruchio for the St.Louis<br>Shakespeare Co. production of Shrew and prior to<br>rehearsal, I am transcribing the storyline to<br>find the throughline of the disorder and role-playing<br>in the story, whether it be in madness or intent.<br><br>