PDA

View Full Version : Anthony and Cleopatra

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I thought I would leave a comment that actually had anything to do with this beautiful thought provoking play. It seems that everyone else just wants to discuss mediocre questions relating the accuracy of your summary and whether Caesar (who I personally find the least interesting character in the play) has a son.<br><br>Anthony and Cleopatra, as the title suggests is about "a pair so famous" and I find the central theme of the play to be their love for each other and the relevance this has on the world as a whole. <br><br>Shakespeare's had considerable interest in how the personal life of important people had relevance on their public life. This is explored in this play and more of his work, such as Othello and would have been found interesting by his audience at the time of his writing, as the Elizabethian audience placed the Monarchy and people of public importance higher in relevance to their lives than we do now. But I find that boring, so I won't talk about that.<br><br>I would really like anyone with an opinion to write a comment on whether they think Anthony or Cleopatra loved each other and what sort of love they see that to be, as I find love a constantly thought provoking issue as it is everywhere and in everything.<br><br>I find Anthony's love for Cleopatra very confusing, as Anthony professes his love for Cleopatra in such hyperbolic, grand terms at the beginning of the play "Let Rome in Tiber melt" and my favourite, "Here is my place, Kingdoms are clay" that I feel him to be genuine. Having a romantic heart, I chose to believe that the passion and feeling shown in any literature, or in life itself is true. I put emotion and sensation above all else. "Oh for a life of sensations rather than thoughts" Keats. <br><br>I also see Cleopatra's love in the same terms. She shows such desperation and passionate uncontrolled yearning for Anthony when he is not with her she sees him in such grand terms, the "Demi atlas of the earth" and imagines him with such affection "Oh happy horse that bears the weight of Anthony" and writes him "every day a several greeting". <br><br>I cannot help even as I write this, thinking that this love cannot be real as it is expressed in such a dramatic way (this is a play so I guess that is ok!). I think that because of the immense influence this pair have on society in their time because of their standing, Cleopatra being Queen of Egypt and Anthony being one third ruler of the Roman world (which was most of the geographical world) they are used to living their lives is such an extravagant way that this is the only way they can express their love.<br><br>It may also be that they are revelling in the fact of being together when they are not allowed to be (as Anthony is married) and also the teasing of each other, as Cleopatra describes when reminiscing with her maids "laughed him out of patience and that night laughed him into patience". This way they are constantly unsure of each other and that keeps the relationship interesting and exciting.<br><br>I find the introduction of Octavia and the consequent decision to marry her made by Anthony difficult to understand. I know that Anthony has married for his "peace" and that he wants to be with Cleopatra, "in the east my pleasure lies" but Enobarbus has enough insight to be able to predict that he "will to his Egyptian dish again", surely Anthony is aware of this himself and would have done more good to have not married Octavia. It only proves to cause further problems between him and Caesar (although this was probably planned by Octavius in the first place, as he, like Enobarbus, is not naive to Anthony's personality and track record) and (more influential to the outcome) does not do wonders with Cleopatra either. I believe that Cleopatra fled the sea battle to test Anthony's love for her. If a person is willing to put themselves in great trouble and do anything to follow you, then that (to a person such as Cleopatra) would show the commitment and desperate love that she wants proving. Hence, the decision to marry Octavia and make Cleopatra very angry may have led to one of the biggest mistakes he ever made.<br><br>In Shakespeare's source 'Life of Mark Anthony' by Plutarch, Anthony had several children with Octavia and was with her for many years. In Shakespeare's 'Anthony and Cleopatra' this is skipped, in fact we do not even see that they are married, it is said by a messenger and lacks importance enough to take up stage time. I do not understand how he can be with Octavia for so long and not Cleopatra if he feels for her as he says he does.<br><br>The beauty of the play is that you can ponder on the central questions of "Do they love each other, is it for the right reasons, will they be together in death, do the audience want them to be happy" forever and every time you read over play another opinion will be questioned or formed. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this why this play is read and will be read by thousands of people for thousands of years and these questions will continue to be discussed and thought over.<br><br>So, to conclude, I have to stop or else I could write all day about everything that this play makes me think about and every single word that is uttered by every character. <br><br>What I would really like is for anyone who has an opinion to write too, as I have exams and would really like to see what central issues others find most relevant or interesting. <br><br>Finally, please don't just write saying this is wrong or that is wrong unless you have something interesting to say yourself. This is a fantastic website, let's not disrespect the opportunity to discuss the wonderful works of some wonderful writers with complete freedom of expression by not doing just that.

byquist
06-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Very extensive rendition of the play and I like what you say. I can only see them as totally stuck on each other and, while they may be forced elsewhere or otherwise, they are like saimeze twins, kissing cousins or two peas in a pod. Nothing can lastingly come between them, only something like their tragic self-infliction. Nothing less than hari-kari will do.

Sort of like Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant in "Notorious," except Notorious ends happy. They may say sassy things to each other, but they are locked.