PDA

View Full Version : Imagery in the play

emma
09-18-2002, 01:00 AM
oh but he is simply everywhere!<br>look at act 1, the scene where caesar does nothing but discuss him with lepidus. act 5, when cleopatra "dreamt there was an emperor antony" and talks about this to dollabella. look closer. in reality, there are few real images of cleopatra as she is physically. look at what antony has to say about himself. look at the very first scene, and what philos and demetrius comment about him "when he is not antony". or look at what enorbarbus, his most loyal companion, notes about him. and enjoy!

Rogue
10-23-2002, 01:00 AM
It is subtle I do agree, but it is the subtle imagery that makes this piece so wonderful.

Rogue
10-23-2002, 01:00 AM
Emma, good insight, I trust you have read this play several tinmes, no?<br><br>

Unregistered
02-28-2003, 02:00 AM
There is plenty of imagery associated with Antony - as the god of war I,i and then a plaything of Cleo. See I,iv for imagery of him a s soldier and then cleo's speech after he is dead to Dollabella in the tomb - V,ii

jon
04-22-2003, 01:00 AM
the most conspicuous and consistent imagery throughout is celestial, e.g., sun, moon, stars, Mars, earth

Unregistered
05-21-2003, 01:00 AM
Cleopatra's speech regarding Antony gives us an image of Antony through Cleopatra's eyes it is in Act 5 scene 2 "His legs bestrid the ocean etc. This is a speech which gives us an image of Antony.

Tina
05-29-2004, 01:00 AM
We can learn alot about Antony from the play, even though he is not as embellished as Cleopatra. For instance, We Know that he is middle aged, a legendary warrior, charming enough to keep the attention of an Egyptian Queen, public but personal, and probably good looking. Its whats not said that allows the reader to be able to conjur up their own image- Which is pretty cool!

Unregistered
01-21-2005, 04:55 PM
<br> You are quite right, there is more imagery of cleopatra, but perhaps that could be a good comment since it helps to show the power she has over him and also serves as a contrast between the lovers...?

Aron
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I have been reading the play in order to find imagery related to Mark Antony, at the moment I am finding this hard because, correct me if I am wrong, there seems to be more emphasis placed upon Cleopatra then on Antony, which is hindering my research. What is the best image of Antony?

danielrsmith
08-15-2006, 09:55 AM
there is less imagery when the scene is in Rome, this is due to the antithetical structure and the contrasts between the two. Duty and Passion (rome and egypt)