PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding copycatting...

Jayman
01-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Recently I've been trying to write some things.....but I have also recently finished The Brothers Karamazov. I was so moved by the novel that it is now my favorite novel (I've never had one until now.) Now the problem I am struggling with is trying to capture the what makes BK work while still being original. For example, just having two characters talk with each other and going from there. I don't want to make something fantastical...

So does anybody have advice for my problem?

I'm sorry if this is all silly, pretentious, or in any other way barbarous.

sandy14
01-08-2014, 07:51 PM
I would say that you do not have a problem. I know what you mean - you read something you like and a piece you end up writing yourself ends up quite similar in style. I have done this too. However, I have come to the conclusion that writing this kind of stuff is essential to develop. It is a stage you have to go through. Most writers did this - Larkin went through a Yeats stage, and most other authors confess to copying one or two writers as they learned their craft.

By copying the style (and being conscious of it), you are learning part of the craft. Eventually you will discover elements you want to use in your writing. I'd suggest that you are putting to much pressure on yourself to be original with the first draft. As a writing exercise, start by writing a draft where you don't try and cut anything out - just let it out onto the page. Once you've finished - put it to one side for a couple of days and then go back to it and read it through. Then think about what you could add/remove to put your own spin or style on the story and redraft.

I usually find if my brain wants to write in the style of someone else, I let it knowing that I can come back to it and change it. Originality comes and goes, but what you are doing now is part of the process. Have faith and work it through.

synodbio
01-20-2014, 07:20 AM
If you only use long-term deadlines, it’s so very easy to get off track.