PDA

View Full Version : SciFi universes

imthefoolonthehill
04-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Which SciFi (or fantasy) universe would you rather live in? Dune? Star Wars? Star TreK? LoTR? Vote, and tell us why you think that way.

Shea
04-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Even though I haven't finished the series yet, I choose LoTR. Though this is a fantasy, it still reflects our past as humanity. I appreciate the values of the time.

M.C. Bennett
04-24-2003, 09:31 AM
It's really hard to compare fantasy and science fiction. While they've got plenty in common, generally speaking, one has magic and the other science. It's not really a fair comparison simply because science is available to everyone, but magic is usually only available to a very select few.

If I've got to choose between equality with everyone in the universe and being either a have or a have-not, I'll choose equality every time. Give me the science!

Ickmeister
05-29-2003, 07:00 AM
The Lord Of the Rings because I beleive that men are born with an intrinsic need for adventure. "All men die. Few men really live." Braveheart

Munro
05-30-2003, 12:56 AM
I'd live in Star Wars, and I always have. Not that I'm a buff, but I enjoy the films. Only so that I could have a light-sabre, a green one I think. It'd be cool fighting with the Rebellion against the Empire, as long as you knew you wouldn't die that is. I don't think I'd be wise or patient enough to be a Jedi Knight though, but I like their philosophy nonetheless.

Shea
05-30-2003, 03:24 PM
I'd live in Star Wars, and I always have. Not that I'm a buff, but I enjoy the films. Only so that I could have a light-sabre, a green one I think. It'd be cool fighting with the Rebellion against the Empire, as long as you knew you wouldn't die that is. I don't think I'd be wise or patient enough to be a Jedi Knight though, but I like their philosophy nonetheless.

I agree, I was torn between LoTR and Star Wars I enjoy the films too and I also enjoy actually winning at Trivial Persuit when I play the Star Wars version, otherwise I'll always lose. But, I guess to me the romance of a people like the hobbits, though they are disrupted from their normal hospitalities of having tea and telling stories, intrigues me more.

ASA
05-31-2003, 07:22 AM
Definitely Star Wars! Apart from anything else I've always fancied a chat with Yoda.

alatar
06-03-2003, 05:48 PM
Although I love any and everything Star Wars, I would have to choose LoTR. While meeting Jedi would be fun, I have to say that elves, dwarves, wizards, etc. would be slightly more interesting.

I really don't play Warcraft enough to fall in love with it....

However....I'm torn mainly between Dune and LoTR. I have just read Dune and am completely awed. It is equalled only by Middle Earth. And in its complexity, Dune is only surpassed by Star Wars because there have been hundreds of books on Star Wars. I think I would have to choose LoTR over Dune, though, mainly because I am utterly enthralled with Tolkien and all of his works.

imthefoolonthehill
06-03-2003, 09:10 PM
I think Dune is probably the least appreciated major science fiction world... a joy to read.... if only )(#%@*%&@# herbert hadn't died... we would have more books.

DumbLikeAPoet
06-03-2003, 11:33 PM
I love Dune but everything after that is subpar.

Jonus

Downer
07-15-2003, 07:29 AM
Dunno, wouldn't mind being a member of Bank's Culture for all the advantages it gives, failing that the conjoined from Reynolds 'Revelation space' etc has a great appeal to me, none of the ones suggest in the poll I find particularly attractive,
Downer

Nightshade
12-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Stand and deliver....
wait thats wrong oh yes
Ehem you are being hijacked and looted by me in the name of Captain Stans Dasterdly Stan terror of the forum seas so give me your money and jewels so I dont have to hurt you :nod:http://www.websmileys.com/sm/dressed/bek014.gif

RobinHood3000
12-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Star Wars, of course. LotR lacks personal hygiene.

Plus, I would absolutely LOVE to fly an A-Wing, or a Z-95 Headhunter, or even a Modified YT-1300. It would also be a definite bonus if I turned out to be Force-sensitive.