PDA

View Full Version : Othell

yadira
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I think that Othello is one of Shakespear's greatest work.

finessfreak
03-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Othello is one of shakespeares greatest works. The complexity of the tragedy he has created is absoulutley genius. Mind you he had only words to work with. Shakespeare has created a story of how a evil can influence even the strongest man and play manipulate a persons flaws, hence leadin to his downfall. through othello
Shakespeare has deliverd to us comprehensive inside in to the cryptic relm of the human mind and soul.

Minx
03-15-2006, 08:48 AM
wow fitnessfreak, the last line on that comment i'm deffinately gonna "Write that down, its a good quote!"... lol nah it was very well worded, see even i can speak english good

lil_chicken
03-15-2006, 11:16 AM
hehe one guess i rekon yadira is miss allison. Yes i agree that Othello has to be one of Shakespeare's greatest works because no other play has had me thinking about it into as much depth. Other plays you get to know the plot and the relationships within it and thats as far as i dig, this play, i have my own opinion about the characters and their motives and actions. I have taken offence to the way that Iago speaks to women and reacted to the naivity of Othello!! This play has so many deeper explanations and is an excellent work because it appeals to modern day living as well as the Elizabethan Age in which it was written. There are a million things that you could discuss in the play because every person would interpret it differently and have contrasting opinions about characters and situations based on their personal experiences and culture. Ohh yep and good one fitness freak, noice line !! Shakespeare definitely has dug deep into the overanalystic mind of humans. Sometimes you can see how Othello may have jumped to conclusions, people do it these days as well! Imagine a party, people are partying lol a boy and girl walk off around the corner just to chat about a personal grievance. However, the girls boyfrend jumps to the conclusion, assumes the worst and launches into her when she returns accusing her of cheating!!!! This is a modern day example of what happened on Othello, obviously without the Shakepearean tragedy and corpses involved! Shakespeare has developed a play which uses beautiful language and techniques to portray the simplistic flaws of the human mind :D :D

cya tomoro at skool dudes im off to bed mwa mwa xx :yawnb:

tomatoes
03-22-2006, 08:34 AM
I'm not a fan of the play, but that's just me. It was too predictable. The only good thing about the play was Iago. He made it interesting. Without Iago there is no play. I love the fact that he is so honest to the audience and to himself. He doesn't tell himself that what he's doing is for the greater good, he admits that he is evil. The only people he lies to are those he wishes to manipulate, i.e. everybody. He doesn't lie to Emilia though, which I found interesting. I'm not sure whether this is because he has no need to or whether he knows she'll see through it. It could be because he still has some love for her but considering the rest of his behaviour towards women, and particularly towards her, I doubt that.
The rest of the characters in the play annoyed me, they were too exaggerated, Othello too gullible, Dezza too naive and Roderigo also too gullible. Maybe if the characters were slightly more subtle and complex it would have been more interesting. Most of the characters were flat, the only round characters being Othello and Iago.
The plot had plenty of holes in it. It was too predictable, but that's what made it a tragedy. We could see Othello's downfall occurring and there was nothing we could do about it.
The themes are pretty good though, jealousy, mistrust, misunderstanding.
For a Shakespearean play it was pretty good. Better than Romeo and Juliet any day. :nod:

Aurelian
03-25-2006, 08:32 AM
I disagree...I really loved Othello (and while it is better than Romeo and Juliet...so is just about anything!) It may have been 'predictable', but that doesn't mean the plot, characters and their motives weren't interesting to read about. I also find that Shakespeare's stories and characters aren't the most important aspects fo the plays (after all, he re-used stories and characters, and the Elizabethan audiences would often know exactly what was going to happen in a play). The reason Shakespeare is so reknowned is for the way he told the stories - the language, the form, the beautiful imagery! A large part of the joy in reading Shakespeare, especially Othello, for me was marvelling in the gorgeous, rich language and imagery in every line, not just analysing the characters and plot.

Minx
03-26-2006, 07:47 AM
nope completely disagree! Aurelian your off your head! it certainly was a truly intriguing play but i still love Romeo and Juliet! (yes a sucker for romantic plays) i loved Iago! he was a maliscious malignancy who latched onto everyone in sight ( That's a good phrase...write it down. Also, use the word 'stalker' in your exams in reference to Othello's Roderigo.) lol

finessfreak
03-30-2006, 08:49 AM
hehe one guess i rekon yadira is miss allison.

man it was written in 2005....... uless miss al is an 'ol skool' member it prob isnt her

Minx
04-04-2006, 02:37 AM
thats argumentable...?

tomatoes
04-04-2006, 07:36 AM
thats argumentable...?

I'm fairly sure argumentable is not a word. :cool:

Aurelian
04-05-2006, 08:22 AM
We create words, man. Don't restrict us to your little 'dictionary'. We're free thinkers, thinking outside teh box, maaaaaaaaaan.

</hippy rant>

Minx
05-08-2006, 09:04 AM
yeah wot she sed... lol... ya never know... after all she was the one that introduced us to it in the first place... although if it were to be Miss A-to-the-Lison i think she would have worded the sentence better **yes i realise i could have made that sound more sophisticated but bleh**
i am skeptical and indecisive **lol 2 words that mean the same thing** that Yidara is Miss A-to-the-Lison...
wot do u think?

shamal
05-21-2006, 03:39 PM
hello, i also think that in Othello there is nothing but Iago. Iago is only interesting feature of this play. Iago is a stupendous character produced by Shakespeare.