PDA

View Full Version : Desdemona

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
How could a man so powerful like the character Othello be bewildered by one man?<br> It was shocking to see all those events take place and how they worked....<br><br> Unbelievable and cunning I think....!!!!

brshfr
09-15-2005, 10:50 PM
That's the glory of the play it's a tragedy to the T! Seeing someone in power and that seems so above all the rest fall for something so unreal made the people of the time feel better about themselves. Othello's sudden change of heart is a wonder in the play.

Miss Darcy
02-09-2006, 11:10 PM
How could a man so powerful like the character Othello be bewildered by one man?

I think there are many reasons. Though Othello says he is "not easily jealous" (V.2.341), Shakespeare is playing on the Elizabethan stereotype of the passionate, easily excitable Moor - Othello is all too susceptible to Iago's cunning, and believes the account of his wife's infidelity far too willingly. Though in all other respects Othello is noble, courageous, well-bred, and firm - well-liked by all under his command, respected by men of power - at heart he is still what the Elizabethans thought all people of a darker skin colour to be, that is a "jealous savage". I think there is a particular irony in this - it's as if Shakespeare is saying the stereotype is wrong and yet right at the same time.

On all counts, Othello's jealousy is a key element in the play; had he not believed Iago, the plot would be in pieces. But even more central is Iago, for it is he who harnesses the Moor's passionate nature and puts it to work for his own purposes, he who actively pursues to ruin all relationships by craft and cunning. And he who in the end succeeds to make the play what it is - a tragedy.

All in all...it is a very masterful, powerful work of literature...unique, and exotic in its imagery.

Darcy

byquist
02-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Othello, while a teddy bear, is still plenty smart; it's just that Iago is so extremely sharp, exact and conniving; he also easily dupes Roderigo and Cassio, and everyone else. Over years he's built up this image of honesty. He can openly say, and people nod their heads in agreement, "I lack iniquity sometimes to do me service." How's that for audacity?

Harold Bloom say, however, that if Hamlet and Iago were in the same play, Hamlet would have quickly detected what he was about. The game would have been over for Iago.

IrishCanadian
02-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Harold Bloom say, however, that if Hamlet and Iago were in the same play, Hamlet would have quickly detected what he was about. The game would have been over for Iago.
Ifd Brutus were there Iago would own him. What I want to see is good 'ol Iago take on all those lovely young laddies from The Merchant of Venice. That would make an entertaining play!

byquist
03-06-2006, 03:37 AM
IrishC, -- Interesting.

Another good question might be who could have softened Iago? I would say Rosalind or Imogen. In his scene when he's briefly with Desdamona I seem to remember that he is uncomfortable, that maybe there's a passing regret about his agenda, so he might have a vulnerable streak.

Also, maybe Iago couldn't have bamboozled Coriolanus. "Iago, get out of my way before I trample you."

tomatoes
03-15-2006, 06:08 AM
How could a man so powerful like the character Othello be bewildered by one man?
Easy, Othello was jealous and insecure. If Othello had trusted Desdemona and truly loved her he would not have suspected her of cheating on him. He was too suspicious and jealous of Cassio. Even if he (Cassio) hadn't slept with Desdemona, Othello was still jealous of him. Cassio was more gentlemanly, had higher status and was better looking (white) than Othello. Othello thought that Cassio was much better than him so he believed it when Desdemona may have slept with Cassio.
Othello was also insecure. He didn't have any faith in himself. He saw what others had that was better than him. He didn't believe that he had any control over Desdemona either, or that she loved him. If he wasn't so insecure he wouldn't have been jealous and the Iago wouldn't have been able to manipulate him.

SkizaWWE
03-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Yea, i agree with tomatoes. His insecurity in himself was exploited by Iago's cunning and he just fell to pieces. I also feel that his intense pride also let him down.

felix
03-19-2006, 12:27 AM
but couldnt it be that Willy wanted him to be weak cos he wuz showing that black men (oops - no offense) were weak - back then, I mean. Even tho othello was a good general, willy still thort like everyone else at the time
:goof: :banana:

byquist
03-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Don't forget that Othello and Iago's friendship and being in battle together goes back a ways. Othello talks about when he was captured by the enemy; maybe Iago was a mutual POW with him. Their comradship grew. Iago has always been trustworthy, honest, sincere, reliable, accurate, even viewed as wise in the judgment of others. It's the immense mental agility of Iago that is just too big for Othello or anyone else in the play to stay with him; they fall under his spell.

Iago, Edmund and Richard III would be interesting together in a room. In fact, a play could be written about such a situation.

Othello has virtually no weakness, except one area -- the lady. As he says, he could endure all type of infliction of pain, etc. everything catastrophic, except in this area -- the centre of his heart. He talks about the place where he either lives or dies. Desdamona has struck there. It could have been all favorable, in fact was: "If it t'were now to die, t'would now to be most happy, for now my soul hath her content so absolute that not another comfort like to this succeeds in unknown fate." -- close to that. Later he asks, "Who can control his fate?" So two factors are dooming him -- fate and Iago's malice; twisting and despoiling of a perfect love. Perhaps out of intense envy. Marvelous good sometimes causes plenty of envy on onlookers' parts.

Aurelian
03-27-2006, 12:49 AM
the fact that Othello had only one weakness amongst all his powerful attributes is what contributes to the strong tragic effect of the play overall - and Othello's tragic hero status in particular. Also, Othello may seem to be rejecting the stereotype of the Moor (interesting that we never actually learn his race...only that he is a 'moor'^__^), he eventually succumbs to the stereotype, overcome by emotions, gullible, passionate and eventually murderous. Perhaps this is Ol' Willy's way of telling us that stereotypes are inevitable. Or perhaps he simply couldn't escape from writing within his social context and idealogies of his time.

Weeeee! At School!!!!!