PDA

View Full Version : FAV POETS!!

american_bad_angel1407
04-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Hey peeps! i wanna know who u'all think is da tanks when they r writin poems. My favorite is Emily Dickinson! now dats sum poetry!

kadamba
05-08-2003, 03:31 AM
I was looking for somewhere to post this! And my excuse is.. I like Elizabeth Browning, read this poem to find out why!

Sonnet XIII
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

And wilt thou have me fashion into speech
The love I bear thee, finding words enough,
And hold the torch out, while the winds are rough,
Between our faces, to cast light on each ?--
I drop it at thy feet. I cannot teach
My hand to hold my spirit so far off
From myself--me--that I should bring thee proof
In words, of love hid in me out of reach.
Nay, let the silence of my womanhood
Commend my woman-love to thy belief,--
Seeing that I stand unwon, however wooed,
And rend the garment of my life, in brief,
By a most dauntless, voiceless fortitude,
Lest one touch of this heart convey its grief

VRWC
05-13-2003, 01:31 PM
W. H. Auden is my favorite poet to both read and listen to.

american_bad_angel1407
05-20-2003, 05:17 PM
kewl! never heard of him/her...but if you refer him/her to me...then i guess i will!
A_B_A!

Apathetic
05-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Wilfred Owen without a doubt. His poems on war were both graphic and very much detailed in what occured during this period of time.

Anthem For The Doomed Youth

What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?
-Only the monstrous anger of the guns.
Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle
Can patter out their hasty orisons.
No mockeries now for them; no prayers nor bells;
Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs,-
The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells;
And bugles calling for them from sad shires.

What candles may be held to speed them all?
Not in the hands of boys but in their eyes
Shall shine the holy glimmers of good-byes.
The pallor of girls' brows shall be their pall;
Their flowers the tenderness of patient minds,
And each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds.

Munro
05-30-2003, 01:03 AM
I haven't read a great amount of his poetry, but my favourite is W.B. Yeats...maybe theres some bias because my ancestors are all from Ireland, but what he writes really speaks to me, and the situations he describes with the woman he loved are very close to what's been happening to me with a girl for the past year.

ASA
05-31-2003, 12:11 PM
4 me it's gotta be William Blake. I like the mood of his writing - the contrast of desperation and joy. Also the illusion of simplicity he tends to employ keeps me thinking for days.

Munro
06-22-2003, 05:11 AM
Ah, I am going to change my choice, for I have recently fallen in love with the poetry of John Keats. Every time I read Ode to a Nightingale my heart feels like its being gradually drawn out of my chest, and his poems are one of the few that absorb me completely, and I love the imagery he creates. I've made quite a wonderful discovery, I think, and look forward to the enjoyment I'll get out of reading his work over the next few months.

apstudent
06-22-2003, 03:31 PM
My favorite is a little man named Dr. Seuss. He rocks. No seriously. He rocks. The cat in the hat is pure genius, GENIUS. YES. lol

Matt
06-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Gotta agree with you there, Seuss is an absolute genious. It's geared at little kids but you can still appreciate as you get older.

PS i heard a rumour that the guy actually hated kids! wouldn't that be funny

Blackadder
07-10-2003, 02:40 AM
I love Wilfred Owen...tragic. Did you know that he died 7 days before the armistice took effect? I always loved "Dulce et Decorum Est."

I also like Langston Hughes, Yeats, Dickinson, Milton (esp. Paradise Lost, and "When I Consider How My Light Was Spent"), Robert Browning...There's others, but these are my favs.

plea4peace
08-16-2003, 04:19 PM
William Butler Yeats is my favorite :D

putty
08-16-2003, 11:40 PM
All of Keats's Odes are poetic marvels. And most of his other poems are "joys" to behold.

putty
08-16-2003, 11:42 PM
Yeats and Eliot are thought by some scholars to be the greatest poets of the 20th centuiry.

Lothwen
08-17-2003, 06:19 PM
I have many favourte poetess and poets, one of them is Wisława Szymborska, maybe You know her, she got a Nobel Price in 1996.

Pandemonium
08-20-2003, 04:35 PM
Peter Reading is always good

alidif
08-25-2003, 09:50 AM
Gerard Manley Hopkins is my favorite. I love the way he uses sound to reinforce meaning. Though "The Windhover" is his most well known poem, I personally prefer his darker poems such as "Carrion Comfort" and "No worst there is none." I also like Robert Browning's dramatic monologues. (I guess that's another example of my attraction to the darker side of poetry).

cristo
09-03-2003, 01:24 PM
In my opinion W.B.Yeats is the best poet. He wrote "Lake Isle of Innisfree".

The Lake Isle Of Innisfree

I WILL arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the mourning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this poem is about my life! Strange, but real. He died long time before my birth.

leonthepupil
09-05-2003, 12:33 PM
I am very fascinated by T.S.Eliot's poetry,especially "the Waste Land".But after reading some comments ,i wonder whether i really appreciate the poem myself or just was led by the scholar's ideas...
Gotta read it again...

tree
09-06-2003, 06:53 AM
:rolleyes: I think my favourite poet is Rimbaud, he had a beautiful mind that carried him to unsatisfied position in his live, dieying all the time, all the way.

electric_kool_aid
09-07-2003, 07:45 PM
Sylvia Plath is pretty good, but depressing

AbdoRinbo
09-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Tree, you are the first person here that I have met who has heard of Rimbaud or who has admitted having a passion for him. I agree, his life was something of a tragedy (in the mythological sense), but he's earned a rather large cult following, especially in and around Charleville where 95% of students there claim to identify with him. From what I've been told, he seems very enigmatic.

Have you read his Illuminations?

tree
09-09-2003, 09:15 AM
I adore Baudelaire, cos he is a great genious in the simbolism movement.
He was loved by the others writers like him.
His poems of darkness, hell, and mistery, arrive us many thinkings...many visions...

tree
09-09-2003, 09:16 AM
I adore Baudelaire, cos he is a great genious in the simbolism movement.
He was loved by the others writers like him.
His poems of darkness, hell, and mistery, arrive us many thinkings...many visions...

KLO
10-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Robert Penn Warren is my absolute favorite, but I also enjoy Linda Hogan, Joy Harjo, Simon Ortiz, and of course Whitman :D .

AbdoRinbo
10-07-2003, 09:44 PM
;)