PDA

View Full Version : Claudius, misunderstood

Unregistered
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
I agree that Claudius wanted to stop war, but he is not misunderstood. He is the villian and a greedy one. How do you not see him as the villian? He killed his own brother to marry his wife and take over Denmark. All in all Claudius is evil.<br>

Lucy
06-07-2004, 01:00 AM
I found the play interesting, but Hamlet's childish attitude got to me a bit. He puts of his attempts to seek venegence and to some extent, hates his mother for not sorting the situation out for him. He's not the classic hero we find today. He has a floor in his character, just like any decent tragedy. However, this floor irritated me much more than any displayed by Shakespeare's other hero's.

Unregistered
03-11-2005, 05:31 PM
right, claudius isnt a villian, he shouldnt be condemned for killing his brother in cold blood, then lusting after and marrying the queen? Hamlet shouldnt be the one portrayed as villanious, imagine this, coming home from school, your dad is dead, your moms remarried to your uncle, and someone is trying to take over your lands...wouldnt that just set you off just a touch?

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Claudius tries constantly throughout the play to save Denmark from war and distruction. Hamlet (the father) is a warmonger who's hot head his rash son has inherited. Through Hamlets actions the state of Denmark is destroyed at the end of the play something which Claudius has been trying to prevent from the first. Cluadius is not the out and out villan that he protrayed to be.