PDA

View Full Version : after hesse?

loppan
04-17-2003, 05:29 AM
I just finished Herman Hesse's Steppenwolf, and enjoyed the book and the topics it brought up such as dualism, adjusting to society etc. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to read next given that I want to read more within the same genre and similar topics? Thanks...

b
04-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Of course.

When you like to read more from Hesse, try Narziss und Goldmund, Gertrud, Siddharta and Knulp!

ps.

If your German is good enough, I recommend you to actually read it in German!

loppan
04-20-2003, 08:07 AM
Thanks! And if I don't want to continue with Hesse, do you have a suggestion on someone who is into the same kind of topics?

Zeno
04-21-2003, 11:19 PM
I would suggest Carl Jung very strongly for deep insight into these topics.

piquant
04-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Siddhartha is one of the best books I've ever read, and deffinately worth your time. It's all about budhism and enlightenment, and different ways of attaining it. Throughout the book you follow Siddhartha on his spiritual journey.

MsrBarso
04-23-2003, 07:17 AM
Albert Camus' The Stranger would be a good option as well, especially concerning the identity and relation with society issues.

kadamba
05-08-2003, 02:50 AM
Albert Camus, yes. The stranger and also The Plague. Of course Camus is limited by his existential 'viewpoint', but if taken with a little salt you can learn something about the human predicament.