PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
04-15-2003, 01:00 AM
i think that the real tragedy of this play is not the fact that a lot of people die. the tragedy is the betrayel of loyalty and the becoming of friends to fiends.

Anon
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
The Tragedy of Julius Caesar written by Shakespeare I believe was written in form of <br><br><br>I am in part agreence with most of the replies. I believe that Brutus is indeed the tragic hero but that Caesar is not. The only reason Caesar was apart of the structure of the plot was because he had the power. And he who has the power rules. I believe that Brutus, Marc Antony, and Cassius are the

jenz
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
erz...<br>i do not agree that marc antony can be a tragic hero...<br>the word tragic supplies and gives us an image of someone who died or suffered badly over a certain issue.<br>Antony certainly did NOT suffer at all, in fact, we see him as a cold merciless person who is willing to cut of Caesar's legacies and condemn others to death.<br>If such is an example of a tragic hero, i think your impression of Antony is too pleasant, and one sided. if u realise, all the characters in this play have double impressions, both the good side and the bad one.<br><br>examples of tragic heros in the book will be cassius, brutus and caesar, maybe even titanus. as they have died for friendship, honor, ambition and lastly, devoution to a friend, in the order.

Vudell(xanga name too)
06-07-2004, 01:00 AM
In Aristotle’s definition of a tragic hero, he has to have a great reputation and prosperity, although his tragic flaw leads to an error in judgment and eventually his downfall. <br><br>Where is antony's downfall? he ends up alive and saying the eulogy over Brutus's bodywhich is traditionally reserved for the tragic hero.

Anonymous
06-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Antony is definately not a tragic hero. Honestly, I do not even consider him a hero to begin with. He is a two-faced liar (as is Brutus) whom has a way with words that is pleasing to the ear. He is always well liked by the commoners throughout this tragedy and even takes the power Brutus and Cssus had for a shot time period with very little effort. He stands out on top in the end so has no tragic end. Personally, Caesar is this tragic hero, but we will not go into that. You do deserve credit though, for putting thought into another twist of Shakespeare's.

bob
03-17-2005, 05:13 PM
i do not agree that marc antony can be a trajic hero either.<br>P<br>E<br>Nobody sees him as a sly person until the end of the play<br>I think he is a cold person<br>See he did no suffer at all

Me
03-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Amanda, That is preposterous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no way Antony could be the tragic hero. You need to study Shakesoearean tragedy.

Unregistered
03-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Antony may not have suffered death, but he did suffer. He lost a close friend. He claimed avengence to the friend and succeeded. I believe he was a tragic hero. Antony may not have been pleasent but atleast he stuck with one side. A two sided person would have been Brutus who turned against Caesar. How did he know Caesar would of came Ambitious. Antony proves him wrong and Brutus reliezes his mistake to late. Antony also lost a another friend in the play 'Brutus'.. They were friends in the beginning but when Brutus murdered Caesar Antony had to turn against his friend which would be another form of suffering.

J. Allen
03-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Ah, but Marc Antony did die a tragic death, perhaps not in this play, but later in 'true' history. He died (killed himself) because he believed that his love, Cleopatra, had been killed. While Brutus certianly is the main tragic hero of the play, I would think Antony could be classified as a minor one as well, especially if you take into account his part in other works of Shakespeare.<br><br>Using the critieron of Amanda's original post for a tragic hero, it is possible to state that Marc Antony may be one.<br><br>"To be a tragic hero one must be a great man."<br>Of Antony being this there is no doubt. What better example of a great man than part of the Second Triumvirate, whose silver tounge could stir the masses into action?<br><br>"The person must have a tragic flaw and make a terrible mistake."<br>Antony's tragic flaw was his lust for revenge tainted by lust for power. His mistake may have been trusting Octavian, who later betrayed him, or in the greater sense could have been his reaction to Caesar's murder and the rasising of an army against the conspirators.<br><br>"That mistake must cause suffering for many people."<br>What causes more mass suffering than war?<br><br>"Lastly, there needs to be a cleansing, or a period of moving on with life."<br>For this there could be several different examples. A closing may be shown in Act V, Scene v. when he praises Brutus as the most noble Roman of them all and secures for him a proper burial. If this is not satisfactory, the moving on period can be demonstrated in "Antony and Cleopatra."<br><br>Also, jenz states that Antony did not suffer. Would you say that Antony did not suffer by Caesar's death? While power was certainly a motive for his actions against the conspirators, you cannot deny that his love for Caesar was totally nonexistant and that he truely wanted revenge on Brutus and Cassius, and in searching for their deaths did want only to clear the way for his and Octavian's rise to fill the power vacuum.<br><br>While Brutus is the major figure of tragedy in this play, Marc Antony is certianally qualified to be a figure deserving of compassion as well.

Unregistered
03-21-2005, 06:48 PM
“Scholars think that the tragic hero could be either Marcus Brutus or of course Julius Caesar.” Is this a reference to the play or just a side-note in history?

Amanda
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
In Julius Caesar, scholars think that the tragic hero could be either Marcus Brutus or of course Julius Caesar. I have read the play and came up with another possible tragic hero; Mark Anthony. To be a tragic hero one must be a great man. The perosn must have a tragic flaw and make a terrible mistake. That mistake must cause suffering for many people. Lastly, there needs to be a cleansing, or a period of moving on with life. I think that more than one of those components describe Mark Anthony.