PDA

View Full Version : question

Kristy
02-06-2003, 02:00 AM
In the play, Caesar is sort of accused by Cassius of trying to be a god. He calls him more of a "godlike tyrant". I think that i understood it to be that Cassius' excuse for not wanting Caesar as king was because he felt that Caesar only wanted the crown to be well-known. His opinion was that Caesar didnt make a good king...that he wasnt "strong" enough and was just as common as anyone else. Back then, the King's felt that they had "divine right" (that they were appointed by God and only had to answer to Him)...so in that case, Caesar did feel he was appointed by god, but i dont think he thought he was one. Cassius felt that Caesar wanted to be treated as one...but whether he really did, i do not know.

Andrew
04-16-2003, 01:00 AM
When Cassius referred to Caesar as a "godlike tyrant" he did not mean that Caesar was trying to be a god but stating the fact that Caesar is only a man and he should not be treated or regarded as a god by the feeble-minded plebians of Rome. In Cassius' discussion with Brutus, Cassius informs Brutus that Caesar is physically weaker than either one of them and that they are justas, if not more so intellectual as Caesar so it is ridiculous that Caesar is seen by the people as a political "giant" and they are just above the average man.

james
04-16-2003, 01:00 AM
Caesar thought of himself as a god, but shakespeare shows us he is not one by his pyshical weakness (in the story casius tells of having to save Caesar from drowning) and Caesar has epilepsy. the qote goes something like this, "he fell down in the market place a started frothing at the mouth and was speechless"

rebecca
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
I do not believe that Caesar wished to be treated as a god, it was an excuse and a justification for his murder. A good book arguing this though is by Weinstock. Also, the many honours that Caesar is reported to have demanded were all provided willingly by the senate who wished to minipulate caesar. Anyway, caesar was an exceptional man, who deserved treatment. I believe he knew about the plot but did not care (he had no body guard). A display of mark antony presenting caesar with a crown was set up and caesar refused the crown, in my opinion to show the people of rome that he did not wish to be king though was capable of it. In my opinion, caesar was an exceptional leader and was not the end of the of the republic, but the 1st emperor of rome.

madeleine
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Does anyone have any arguements for Caesar being a god and/or sent by the gods? Obviously the republic was not working if they did whatever the crowd wanted them to do. Perhaps the gods sent Caesar to renew order...just a thought.