PDA

View Full Version : should things be taken for granted?

MarsMonster
04-15-2003, 08:12 AM
i have noticed people take many things for granted here. like the meanings of words, you quote a dictionary and think that solves the problem.
people also generalize. they take their experiences and assume everyone feels the same.
so i ask:
what should be taken for granted? are there some axioms in life that simply ARE or should we exept only what we find sensible, what we can explain to ourselves?

i have always believed that the only thing that simply IS is space, time and life.

Shea
04-28-2003, 12:15 PM
I don't think that a lot of people take things for granted here. The reason that I joined this site is because I wanted to see other people's ideas about literature. We all express our opinions and it's a take it or leave it sort of thing. Our experiences are what are real to us as individuals. That's the beauty of diversity! When one tries to force their views on another person, (which is pretty impossible through this medium) that when there arises problems.

Jay
05-19-2005, 08:01 AM
:angel:
BUMP
:angel:

Helga
05-19-2005, 08:10 AM
I agree with Shea, and I don't think I take many things for granted.When we share our feelings it is mainly to express ourselves and if anyone knows these feelings or feels better knowing there are other people here who know what their going through. We quote authors and all that but we don't think that our few sentences will change things dramatically. We just support eachother.

That's why I always come back, everybody cares :)

byquist
05-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Good question and good thread here. We gotta remember that we're writing here and sometimes are misunderstood. Sometimes I post sarcasm or jokes, and then someone thinks I'm serious. So, without being face to face, there is room for misunderstanding. But that's okay.

I'm only turned off a bit by folks pressing a preconceived agenda or ulterior motive, which doesn't happen often, but usually is about some facet of religion. Religion and philosophy should be invigorating, but not pressing for a repetitive doctrine or dogma.

I like what one of the most powerful characters in a modern play, Pale, says in "Burn This". Something like, "A man would like to think he's taken at his word." Then I think he says, "Have I ever hit you?" Although he's a wild-man to end all wild men, he is honest and sincere, and he wants his sincerity to be received sincerely.