PDA

View Full Version : why does the two family hated each other ?

12_Year_Old_Shakespeare_Luvr
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Um, hello?!?!?! The two families DO forgive each other, at the end of the play!!!

Jackson
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
What Eric means is why don't the families forgive eachother BEFORE their children are killed? This planet would be a better place if people could get along a little better, which is what I think Shakespeare was trying to say.

Tony Beckman
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
The major point of this entire play is that bad things do exist, but even the worst things can bring good. Friar Lawrence states, ". . . for naught so vile that on the earth doth live, but to the earth some special good doth give." So it took the very "vile" deaths of Romeo and Juliet to bring about the reconciliation of the two families.

Margaret
03-17-2005, 05:37 PM
They DO forgive each other! At the end, just read like the last sentence of the overview on here.

MONICA JO
03-23-2005, 10:30 PM
even though they do forgive eachother it is, in a way, their fault their children are dead. if it hadn't been for that feud the romeo and juliet might still be alive.

Jessika Honeycutt
04-26-2005, 10:56 AM
well actually in the storie shasphere never told us why the two families are fighting. it starts off with them years into it. so why do all of you tell this person about the end of the play when she/he is talking about the beginning?

Unregistered
04-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Dear Eric,<br>I'm not sure if you will be reading this, but I thought that perhaps I might be able to give you some interesting information about the underlying point and pirpose of this story and the feud between these families. Romeo and Juliet was, more or less, written as an allegorical tale (it was meant to represent something else). During the time that Shakespeare wrote the play the BRitish Royal family was in the middle of a fierce feud called The War of the Roses. It is very complicated so I won't really get into it here, but you could look it up on line if you want to know more. Suffice it to say that the Royals, the kings, were killing each other off right and left, including sons. The problem is that if sons die, their are no heirs to the throne. So, while Shakespeare was using his play to send a larger message about the dangers of fighting, he was also very interested in sending a specific message to the British royal family and the British people in general that the current feud (War of the Roses) is not good because they will not have anyone left to continue their line. The Prologue is really the key to the whole allegory with "two households, both alike in dignity." So really the families could not have reconciled (made up) because it would have ruined the message because the lovers would not have died. Essentially, in literature, one would call this a plot device where one particular characteristic has to exist in order that the actions (plot) can happen the way the author wants them to on order that he gets his message across. So, in answer to your question, I don't think that the families should have made up because then the play would not have had the impact it had or gotten across its message. (Sorry for the whole long thing but I thought the information might be kind of cool for you to know)

Jonathan
04-27-2005, 10:45 AM
To Eric: Of course the Montagues and the Capulets were stupid, but is it not so even today that families can act in stupid ways concerning their pride and their children? Part of the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet is the incessant pride that bears down on not only the families, but on those who love the members of those families. To each one a soul and a heart was lost; not just to the parents with their inane pride and arrogance. They stole two children with pure and loving minds from the world.

Eric
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Do you think that the family is kind of stupid because why they can't forgive each other after a few centuries, if you think they should forgive each other rate this comment and high and if you think they should not forgive each other rate this comment a low ? <(^+^)>