PDA

View Full Version : Algebra Two problem

imthefoolonthehill
04-13-2003, 02:25 AM
Thx anyways... I figured it out... you can delete this now, admin :-D Thx!

Koa
04-13-2003, 09:15 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH :o :o :o

(sorry, maths made me suffer during all my schoolyears, now i'm so glad to have got rid of it that i refuse even to do 2+2 without a calculator...)

MarsMonster
04-13-2003, 10:29 AM
i used to know that
about two years ago....
i'll try to remember.
the longer axis is always the main one. and whether it is horisontal or vertical, that is just the question of how it is placed in space.
as for the coordinates..... you are working with two axes there for you have two coordinates for each point in plain. and so you have two coordinates for the center and as for the axes you just need the lenght and then the elipse is defined fully. i really couldn't read the equations because i don't have the patience, but these are some principles...

NOOOOO wait! i will come back to you on that.... i'll read the equations.

and a is simply a number from what i see. it can be one or ten or two or whatever. it is a parameter. x,y are points. and (c,0) are coordinates - it means that the y=0 so the point is on the apscise. (x-osis)
hope to reply soon. if nothing else i promise to clear it all up after wednesday (i have an exam then) if noone else does it before me.

Shea
04-13-2003, 08:38 PM
sorry, math was my worst subject. You might try another site, I've always found that people who are really good at english are not so good at math and vise versa. Something about a right brained/ left brained thing. So, I don't know how much help you'll get here. But maybe there's someone who uses both halves of their brain! ;)

MarsMonster
04-14-2003, 03:05 PM
i've got both halves of my brain:)
the a is the lenght of the major diameter, the b is the lenght of the smaller, and the h, k are the coordinates of the center.
it's easy. the line is defined by a function and so on and so on:)

but since help is no longer needed.... i wont bore people any more. still, if anyone has any problems with maths -let me know.

RoseBud
04-24-2003, 01:29 PM
Shea, you are typical, but I don't have to be!

I always loved written stuff best, and I still dislike arithmatic, but I have discovered maths as a late bloomer, and I've come to enjoy algebra 2 and geometry. Especially geometry!

It has been a few years (don't ask how many!) but I've got a good book somewhere about, and if there are any more questions, feel free to ask. I cna dust off the book, bone up again, and give you a pretty good explanation. Anyway, my classmates thought I could explain things well.

waxmephilosophical
04-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Speaking on the left-brained, right-brained thing, I think I'll start a new topic on that...

RoseBud
04-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Yes, speaking of the right-brain, left-brain thing, y'all come on ever and discuss this with wax and me.

Shea
04-25-2003, 02:12 PM
Rosebud, why do you love to attack me? I can't stand math and love english in the way that my husband loves math and hates english! I didn't mean that there weren't people out there that didn't love both! You read way too much into what people say! :-?

Arteum
04-29-2003, 03:03 AM
So what was the problem?? :o I'm good at maths! And, Shea, I love both maths AND English :)

imthefoolonthehill
04-29-2003, 10:03 AM
there is no math problem anymore... they already helped me out... but wish me luck on the test today... and ADMIN... you really CAN delete this topic now.