PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

colosseum
12-19-2002, 02:00 AM
Is the Shakespeare play - Titus Andronicus - based on historical fact or is it entirely made up? I have read many books on the Roman Empire and don't remember anything like this.<br><br>I found the movie to be excellent ( it was shown recently on IFC) and could not believe that it was really a play by Shakespeare. The cast was superb especially Hopkins who played Titus and Saturnius who I believe was played by Alan Cummings. <br><br>It appears that Shakespeare combined many characters from his other works to create this tragedy. The evil Moor (Othello), the dream sequence with Tamora and her two sons (Macbeth) and the tragic lovers (Romeo and Julliet). He even throws in a Caligula type for good measure.<br><br>

Alex
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Titus Andronicus was one of the spellbinding, graphic, diabolically delightful plays that Shakespeare has ever written. The malevolence that is in full effect within all of the characters, and the loss of morality is absolutely mesmerizing in this heart-wrenching play about passion, lust, madness, and the ultimate sacrifice of love.