PDA

View Full Version : How to Self Teach?

TheNamelessOne
12-13-2012, 03:25 AM
Hello, I'm hoping to become a competent writer. My goal is to someday become so competent that I could write a good novel. However before I could do that I'd need to know how I can improve my writing skills. So... could someone answer this for me? Should I practice by writing short stories and asking for feedback? Are there any online resources that I could use to give me a headstart? Any key aspects of writing that a prole like me wouldn't be aware?

MementoMori
12-13-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm by no means an expert, but I think the most important thing to do is read. You can't be a good writer without being a good reader. Read widely and variedly, paying close attention not just to what the author writes but how the author writes.

krishna_lit
12-13-2012, 10:08 AM
First of all, congratulations for deciding to be a competent writer, this a great challenge of life. And, even I too am an aspiring writer myself, I'm 22. I've developed my writing skills in the last 3 years from the scratch. So, according to me, writing Blogs would be of immense help, rather than directly writing stories, short stories. Firstly, practice writing articles/blogs on the topic that interests you or the concept that you chose to write a short story about. Post the blog link over here or on your facebook and get it reviewed by others who would give you true suggestions. Writing on twitter also helps a lot in developing short lines or sentences, or for telling something specific in just a small sentence of 140 characters. I do it very often (www.twitter.com/krishna_mydream) it helped me so much to develop the briefing of sentences. The most important of all, is YOU SHOULD BE IMAGINATIVE AND KNOWLEDGABLE. You MUST read a lot, a hell lot, read very varied stuff, because we never know how and what kind of ideas will be generated while reading what kind of stuff. So, don't afford to miss a chance. And, above all, never ever let the Spark of your passion for writing and becoming the kind of writer you want to be put-off.

:) All the very best :)

ralfyman
12-13-2012, 10:54 AM
There are also books like Elbow's Writing Without Teachers.

krishna_lit
12-15-2012, 06:41 AM
There are also books like Elbow's Writing Without Teachers.

Thanks for sharing the info, didn't knew of it before.

stevanjessica
04-18-2013, 08:16 AM
Without being a good reader you cannot be a good writer, as without the power of listening , a person cannot be a good speaker...

So improve the habit of reading to be a competent writer.

cafolini
04-22-2013, 04:59 PM
First of all, congratulations for deciding to be a competent writer, this a great challenge of life. And, even I too am an aspiring writer myself, I'm 22. I've developed my writing skills in the last 3 years from the scratch. So, according to me, writing Blogs would be of immense help, rather than directly writing stories, short stories. Firstly, practice writing articles/blogs on the topic that interests you or the concept that you chose to write a short story about. Post the blog link over here or on your facebook and get it reviewed by others who would give you true suggestions. Writing on twitter also helps a lot in developing short lines or sentences, or for telling something specific in just a small sentence of 140 characters. I do it very often (www.twitter.com/krishna_mydream) it helped me so much to develop the briefing of sentences. The most important of all, is YOU SHOULD BE IMAGINATIVE AND KNOWLEDGABLE. You MUST read a lot, a hell lot, read very varied stuff, because we never know how and what kind of ideas will be generated while reading what kind of stuff. So, don't afford to miss a chance. And, above all, never ever let the Spark of your passion for writing and becoming the kind of writer you want to be put-off.

:) All the very best :)

Life is like a star that feeds on the fuel of ideals. I you let it estinguish, you are left a useless piece of human flesh. Paraphrasing J. E. Rodo.

stevanjessica
06-17-2013, 03:32 AM
Nice suggestions for improve writing skills. As like you, I am also very interested in writing stories. So many ideas came in my mind, from the people who are living near to me and from my own life....

I didnot decide that may i go for a autobiography or just simple stories?

sonia bhardwaj
08-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Great post i appreciate it thanks.

synodbio
10-21-2013, 06:25 AM
Some of the greatest people in history have educated themselves to a large degree using a process known as autodidacticism. This is something that's more easily undertaken these days with the great wealth of online tools available to anyone.