PDA

View Full Version : It wasn't Jasper

David Saunders
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I have read the MED five times so far and am quite certain that the one and only person whose innocence is guaranteed is John Jasper. Actually, I believe I discovered the true killer on my third read through, the fourth read serving to show all the red flags Dickens had waved in front of our eyes.<br><br>Any solution must also solve several lesser mysteries, among them:<br>- What was the ghost Durdles heard in the crypt the previous year?<br>- Why would Jasper search Durdles' drugged body for a key he had already accessed while holding Durdles' lunch parcel? And why did Durdles feel someone touch him AFTER Jasper had walked away?<br>- Who is the Princess Puffer?<br>- Who is Deputy?<br>- Why, if Jasper is in a prison cell, are the heroes desperately chasing up the Cathedral tower at the end of the novel (according to the cover illustration).<br><br>If my answer is correct - and those of my friends who could force themselves through both Dickens and my preliminary reconstruction are unanimous in thinking it is - then I can answer all these and a number of other questions, as well.<br><br>One suggestion, since it does not impend on the rest: Dickens intended Luke Honeythunder to return to Cloisterham to set up a branch of his Haven of Philanthropy. While there, Jasper introduces him to Joshua Sapsea and the two, seeing in each other the finest sort of Englishman, immediately hit it off. Jasper induces Honeythunder to begin legal persecution of Neville Landless while Sapsea stops "dressing at the Dean" and begins dressing at Honeythunder. At some point while Honeythunder is haranguing passersby in Cloisterham, the boy known as Deputy calls out that Honeythunder is his runaway father who abandoned his mother years before. Honeythunder is laughed out of town, the case against Neville collapses, and Sapsea returns to dressing at the Dean.<br><br>I am currently trying to gather the energy to rewrite my solution but feel discouraged by the unlikelihood of getting it published. Opinions would be most welcome.