PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing

charles dickens
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
i thought that you could have put more detail in about henry the 2nd

vikki
03-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Dickens didn't mean Nickleby to be an awe-inspiring story. He wanted to write something that readers would enjoy and make a political point. He was a freedom fighter of his time; almost every book he has written points out how badly the lower classes and children were treated. The plight of Nicholas and the yorkshire school boys was his way of bringing what was wrong with society to the attention of the upper classes. He was also trying a new style; humour. The book is only occassionaly melocholy or dramatic, most of the time it is light hearted or humerous which makes it very pleasant to read. It was typical of the upper classes of that time to want to read something cheery, he knew that if they liked this book then they would read the next. In his next book he threw the suffering of the lower classes and children into a harsher light.<br> I am sorry if anyone disagrees with this, I am fourteen years old and so I am not very experienced with analysing literature in depth. I would reccomend the work of Dostoevsky to anyone that likes Charles Dickens. Thank you for reading this.

Anonymous2
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
After I finished reading a Tale of Two Cities, I checked out this book from the library, hoping that all of Dickens books would be as good as Two Cities was. I was greatly disappointed. This book nowhere aproaches the depth, excitement, satire, and drama that A Tale of Two Cities possesses. It has several interesting and dramatic chapters, but their effect diminished by the monotony and unoriginality of the rest of the book.