PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mr Dickens

malcolm
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
There seems to be no point to your comment except that you failed to understand. You should try something a little less taxing next time.<br>The Cat In The Hat perhaps.

April
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
Perhaps you should do some research about the novel, as well as research concerning the time period in which the novel was written so that you might understand it better. Hard Times is a wonderful reflection of growing industrialism in England, and it successfully depicts the problems caused by this type of society. Another tip that may be helpful to you is this: try reading the novel in a shorter time period. Anytime you take two months to read a novel you are likely to lose interest. Try reading iit in one week or at least a week and a half.<br>Just a sidenote...Blackpool's language is not written in "an irritatingly retarded fashion." Rather, it is written in the dialect of England's working class. All dialects should be appreciated, for they all consist of a logical structure governed by their own grammatical rules. Because Stephen's dialect is an accurate portrayal of working class speech, it merely brings the novel to life just a little bit more.

Mr. Essex
01-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Your comments regarding Hard Times seems to be rather confused. First of all, the novel is not with regards to Utilitarianism (most easily summed up as the greatest good for the greatest amount of people), it is with regards to a semi-notion of Materialism (only material entities exist) combined with Pragmatism (only what deals with reality matters). Thus, you see Bounderby's and Gradgrind's stance on "Now, what I want is, Facts." Secondly, someone who writes a novel is not simply trying to get across one little point; if they were a simple thesis statement would suffice. There are many more themes in the book that just one simple idea. If you cannot see those or have no joy in the reading than Charles Dickens is simply over your head, and you should stick to something easier like a Tom Clancy novel. <br>PS. Blackpool spoke quite normally, it was Mr. Sleary that had the speech impediment. Maybe if you payed attention, you would have realized that.

Unregistered
03-21-2005, 02:35 PM
You do realize he is dead and can't hear you, right? If two months have been ruined by having to read a book you have it pretty easy. I don't like it either, but wow. Get some perspective. People are dying and starving and being tortured and losing their jobs and all kinds of things that are a lot worse than having to read a book. You are lucky that the worst thing in your life seems to be having to read a book.

James
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Dear Mr Dickens,<br>Or should i say "Chickens" you've really done it this time. I had a "hard Time" reading this poor excuse for a satirical attack on the misguided application of Utrilitarianism. The only reason you've spanned out the novel over about 300 pages when you could have quite simply cut the pants, dull descriptions and needless sub-plots, is to make money, since it was written in Installments. The poor people of your times, had no televisions and Tolkien hadn't been invented yet-mugs! Thanks for ruining 2 months of my life<br>PS. Blackpool would be a better character if he could actually speak coherantly rather than mumbling on in an irritatingly retarded fashion.<br>

Gilley
06-19-2007, 07:00 PM
I certainly agree that Cat in the Hat would serve you better, may I also suggest Hop on Pop, Peekaboo Bunny, and Goodnight Moon. These add lovely pictures which you may find appealing as well. It is also entirely possible that you may finish these well within a two month period! However, if you're absolutely pushed, for some reason, (oh...like maybe a class grade) to read more of Dickens, you might try A Christmas Carol. It is much shorter and therefore, much easier for you to wrap your mind around it. Wait on second thought, perhaps you'd better see if you can wrap your mind around Peekaboo Bunny first! Cheers!

GrayFoxDown
06-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Dear Mr Dickens,<br>Or should i say "Chickens" you've really done it this time. I had a "hard Time" reading this poor excuse for a satirical attack on the misguided application of Utrilitarianism. The only reason you've spanned out the novel over about 300 pages when you could have quite simply cut the pants, dull descriptions and needless sub-plots, is to make money, since it was written in Installments. The poor people of your times, had no televisions and Tolkien hadn't been invented yet-mugs! Thanks for ruining 2 months of my life<br>PS. Blackpool would be a better character if he could actually speak coherantly rather than mumbling on in an irritatingly retarded fashion.<br>

For the likes of you to set yourself up as critic and condemn Dickens' HARD TIMES (or anything related to Dickens for that matter) is like the Moon criticizing the Sun for its dullness. (And by the way, it's spelled U-T-I-L-I-T-A-R-I-A-N-I-S-M). And Thank You for ruining two minutes of MY LIFE.

Birgit
08-02-2007, 11:19 AM
If you did not enjoy reading Dickens's Hard Times, try listening to it. I warmly recommend the audiobook read by Martin Jarvis (Chivers Audiobooks, A Sterling Edition, 1998, playing time 11 hrs). It has made me laugh and cry. Mr Jarvis reads so well that it has made Hard Times my favourite novel.

kiz_paws
08-22-2007, 02:07 AM
For the likes of you to set yourself up as critic and condemn Dickens' HARD TIMES (or anything related to Dickens for that matter) is like the Moon criticizing the Sun for its dullness. (And by the way, it's spelled U-T-I-L-I-T-A-R-I-A-N-I-S-M). And Thank You for ruining two minutes of MY LIFE.

LoL, you rock, sir! :thumbs_up