PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing Lack of Interest in Poetry Competitions

Pendragon
11-15-2012, 10:59 AM
What has happened here? We used to have strong competition in every poetry contest, and the winners were many and varied. The instructions would go up for the next contest and within three days we would have five or six entries. Now the contests stagnate until the judge finally realizes that people aren't interested and judges the poems he or she has, usually no more than four, and that's if we are lucky.

These contests were created to be fun, to share poetry, and to have a place where friends were happy to share with other friends. Have we lost that now? I come here every morning expecting to see a turn around in poetry contests, and I grow more and more discouraged. If these contests become lost causes, I will have no reason to come here anymore.

I love you all

Pen

cacian
11-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Hi Pendragon I am always up here checking too. lol love poetry myself.
I just think that some take longer then needed to get the feedback that is why.
I think keeping it short and snappy should get more interest.
A daily contest is in order lol

ampoule
11-15-2012, 11:09 AM
I haven't been coming around enough to keep up. I'm in a wierd place and my muse has been hibernating. I miss the old group and haven't had a chance to get to know the new group. Please don't leave. Be patient with us. I'm going to look at the contests right now!

YesNo
11-15-2012, 11:37 AM
I like the poetry contests. It is the main reason why I'm here as well. It is the first page I go to when I log on, so don't leave Pendragon! If one thinks of the contest challenges as prompts for writing it is a way to pace oneself to get a poem written every now and then. I suppose the threads where poems are critiqued could be interesting, but contests seem friendlier.

The other threads are sometimes interesting, too. I do get tempted to discuss atheism-theism, relativity, Harry Potter, Joyce's Ulysses, etc, but the contests come first.

cafolini
11-15-2012, 11:43 AM
What has happened here? We used to have strong competition in every poetry contest, and the winners were many and varied. The instructions would go up for the next contest and within three days we would have five or six entries. Now the contests stagnate until the judge finally realizes that people aren't interested and judges the poems he or she has, usually no more than four, and that's if we are lucky.

These contests were created to be fun, to share poetry, and to have a place where friends were happy to share with other friends. Have we lost that now? I come here every morning expecting to see a turn around in poetry contests, and I grow more and more discouraged. If these contests become lost causes, I will have no reason to come here anymore.

It might not be lack of interest at all. Perhaps many of us would not entangle with the ones that have monopolized the forum with constant BS, including wpuld be editors, etc.

I love you all

Pen

It might not be lack of interest at all. Perhaps many of us woul not entangle with the ones that have monopolized the forum with constant BS, including would-be editors, would-be writers, etc.

qimissung
11-15-2012, 03:23 PM
eeek. I haven't participated in the contests for awhile now, but I do offer some, which has been enjoyable. Sometimes I have to put the word out to get a good turnout, but in the end there are usually a satisfactory number.

The would-be editors, etc. don't really have anything to criticize in a contest do they? This is not the place for criticism of any kind. But Pen, while I understand your discouragement, this is not the time to give up, but to get the word out. The contest page is a little bit hidden, so maybe newer people do not always know of it's existence. Whatever the reason, I suggest we discuss ways to pull people in, and brainstorm any other changes we could make that would make this place a tad more livelier. Suggestions, anyone?

DocHeart
11-15-2012, 03:59 PM
I like poetry, and I like contests, so I like poetry contests -- both reading and participating. But these have been running for a while and I only recently discovered them, almost by accident.

I can't think of many ways to increase engagement other than to bump these topics up as frequently as possible (without, of course, becoming irritating - and I realize there's a delicate balance to be struck there). But Sche does it for the short story competition -- occasionally goes into the thread and bumps it up by writing something as simple as "Three days left to submit your stories".

Incidentally, what happened to your "Time" thing? :)

Best,
DH

Mutatis-Mutandis
11-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Participation on these forums has gone down in general, so it's not surprising that a poetry contest, something I'm assuming not a ton of people participated on the first place, would be affected. Hell, just look at the forum book club. I don't even think it's even done anymore.

Lokasenna
11-16-2012, 04:44 AM
Incidentally, what happened to your "Time" thing? :)

Yes, I was wondering that myself.

I like the poetry competitions - it allows those of us who don't have a huge amount of time for web-surfing to concentrate our online poetry reading. It's also very nice to have pieces next to each other for comparison.

prendrelemick
11-16-2012, 04:45 AM
I've only just found these pages, (after three years on lit net) perhaps they should be in forum games. there are so many threads and so little inspiration in me

jajdude
11-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Just haven't been in the mood for writing much lately. That comes and goes.

Calidore
11-16-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm not normally much for poetry myself, but I am glad you created the Comedy/Satire/Pun competition and will continue to participate in that one.

Pendragon
11-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Problem with a daily contest is that we are a world wide community and we are scattered across all timezones. Different people's day begins and ends at times when others are ahead or behind. What we would have to do is have the contest use a standard time, such as Greenwich. Thus everyone knows the correct beginning and end of the contest.

twist
11-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Snow swirling outside my window pane
Footsteps crunching down the lane

Next year is creeping nearer
I just hope everything won’t be dearer!

cacian
11-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Problem with a daily contest is that we are a world wide community and we are scattered across all timezones. Different people's day begins and ends at times when others are ahead or behind. What we would have to do is have the contest use a standard time, such as Greenwich. Thus everyone knows the correct beginning and end of the contest.

it sounds like a good idea Pendragon.

qimissung
11-16-2012, 02:29 PM
DocHeart and Lokasenna:

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?71809-What-TiME-is-it-now-Poetry-contest

Melanie
07-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Why is it so hard to find any of the Poetry Contests?... and yet, even at that, there are about 7 very talented participants currently, give or take, for each contest on an on-going basis. I've learned so much and have grown so much (argueably) since participating. If the contests were easy to find, I can't imagine how great the participation would be! If you click on the forum titled "Poems,Poets, and Poetry"...they are NOT there! Nor in the "Personal Poetry" forum. Yet, I find that the "Personal Poetry" forum gets less critiquing and attention sometimes than the Poetry Contests do.

Correction: If you go to the "Personal Poetry" forum and then click on the sub-head, "Poetry Games & Contests", then you can find them. I just now figured that out after being here 6 months....so it's not exactly all that noticeable without perseverance...or am I just dense :nod:

Can there be a special forum set up for Poetry Contests just like you have for "Short Story Competition"? (Is poetry competition considered sub-par?...perhaps that's another subject for a thread) The only way I could find poetry contests, until now (when I just discovered the hard to find sub-head) was to use the search box each time. How many people even know to search "poetry contests" or know that there even ARE poetry contests...unless they happen to catch one quickly in the "Latest Posts" section...and I mean VERY quickly.

There are so many that I'm sure most are unaware of : Form poetry contest, Subject poetry contest, Picture poetry contest, Famous Quoted Line poetry contest, Minimalist poetry contest, Comedy/Satire/Pun poetry contest. Then there is Cinquain poetry, Haiku poetry, Colours poetry (must spell it that way for search box purposes), lymericks, and more .

Pendragon
07-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Hi Melanie

The problem is, and I know I am not a moderator, that the Short Story Competitions are sanctioned by the Admin, and there is a cash reward in the finals. All of the poetry contests are unofficial.

I agree about the need for a form just for poem contests, I often can't find them myself if it's been a while an the judge for that contest hasn't posted a winner. We used to have a very lively competition in all of the contests. Not anymore, I'm afraid. Because of so few entries, I am not putting up a new contest I've thought of that could be fun. But considering the participation in current contests, no need for one more to be ignored.

God bless

Pen

Melanie
07-10-2013, 08:12 AM
delete (duplicate content)

Melanie
07-11-2013, 03:07 AM
When I asked, "Can there be a special forum set up for Poetry Contests just like you have for "Short Story Competition", I didn't mean with any matching monetary compensation. I wasn't thinking about prize money at all. I was just thinking about the having same visibility that the short story competition enjoys. When you go to the main Forum you see "Short Story Competition" but you don't see "Poetry Contests". When you click on the Short Story Competition Forum you're taken directly to short stories. Poetry Contests is only a sub-forum and therefore you have to unexpectedly bump into it under another category. If it were in full view in the main Forum then new people would see it right away, otherwise, new people don't even know to look for it because they don't know we have it.

Melanie
09-08-2013, 05:43 AM
Sub-Forum Lament

I'd asketh my boss for a raiseth
to a main-forum position
for some more recognition
Tho I feareth, the only raise from thou
Wouldst be a raised eyebrow

But then I began to thinketh
the upside I'll share with a winketh
Being a sub-forum, there's no fear
of anyone plagiarizing poems here
For alas, no one can find them!
http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t540/melaniespoetry/e57a01dd-60a5-469c-b1d5-030c6061dbf4_zps4c059f44.jpg (http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/melaniespoetry/media/e57a01dd-60a5-469c-b1d5-030c6061dbf4_zps4c059f44.jpg.html)
A wink from Edgar Allen Poe

cacian
09-08-2013, 05:46 AM
nice piece Melanie. the picture is brilliant. ;)

when you wink
you think
there is more to sink
then tearful hymn
approach happy
with simple dim
and it will let you in for win

YesNo
09-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Nice ones, Melanie and cacian.

I dropped a poem in a thread.
I winked. I see it might be dead.
At least it's not inside my head,
But buried, settled in a bed.

cacian
09-09-2013, 04:34 AM
YesNo thank you and your piece is very fun as always. :)

desiresjab
05-14-2014, 02:27 AM
Prize money!

YesNo
05-14-2014, 07:53 AM
There is a prize for the short story contest, but fewer people are entering that as well. There were only two stories last month. When I came here there used to be five to pick from. Hopefully, more will participate in that contest as well. I always try to do my part and vote for one of the stories.

What I think one gets out of these poetry contests are written poems that one could use elsewhere. Some publications do not consider putting a poem in Lit Net to be "publishing" the poem. So you could submit the poem to that venue. Also, if you put together a collection of poems, you could fill the book with selections from what was posted here as well over the years. The prize is the poem itself.

There are four ways to use social networks such as lit net to improve one's poetry or prose if there are other people who participate, but you need other people to make these approaches work.

1) You could enter the contests where a prompt is provided and a deadline to get something submitted. Prize: You get a completed poem which you probably would not have written otherwise and you get to see how others handled the theme differently. Winning the contest simply means you get to judge the next.

2) You could post a poem, "workshop" the poem, in a new thread. The assumption here is that you want feedback to improve the poem or want the poem to have visibility. This sometimes leads to hard feelings if the criticisms or the poem are inane. I don't workshop any poems, but I try, given time, to post comments now and then. Posting a comment gives me a chance to read and respond to what someone else has written. Generally, I look for something positive to say about the poem and not try to rewrite it unless the author specifically asks for that kind of feedback.

3) You could post a poem to a non-contest thread with a particular theme. Cacian has started many fine threads like this, and others exist as well, that are opportunities to motivate writing. The title of the thread is the theme.

4) You could get motivation from reading the other threads from which the contents of a poem or story will take shape. Prior to coming to lit net, I knew jack about, and frankly, couldn't care less about, the big bang, quantum physics, many worlds, atheism, Buddhism, or evolution just to name a few topics of threads I have since participated in. The participation, however, is practice in being courteous and writing clear prose and getting a better understanding of some topics. I feel like a mini-expert now in some of these topics. How does this help poetry? The ideas presented in these threads have become themes or prompts for other poems, some of them are not even posted back on lit net.

But all this takes other people to participate in conversations, workshops, themed threads or competitions and we are all busy and sometimes those muses are mocking us by sleeping in.

chevalierdelame
05-14-2014, 08:11 AM
1) You could enter the contests where a prompt is provided and a deadline to get something submitted. Prize: You get a completed poem which you probably would not have written otherwise and you get to see how others handled the theme differently. Winning the contest simply means you get to judge the next.

I wouldn't have written a couple of poems that I did write if I hadn't wanted to participate in the form poem contest.

4) You could get motivation from reading the other threads from which the contents of a poem or story will take shape. Prior to coming to lit net, I knew jack about, and frankly, couldn't care less about, the big bang, quantum physics, many worlds, atheism, Buddhism, or evolution just to name a few topics of threads I have since participated in. The participation, however, is practice in being courteous and writing clear prose and getting a better understanding of some topics. I feel like a mini-expert now in some of these topics.

I haven't been here long, but I've learned a lot about many things, and not just literature. Much better, and much more fun than taking a course on them!

desiresjab
05-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Poems are a lot easier to write than 2,000 word short stories. That is why more people write them. Maybe the moderators feel they would be innundated if they opened a poetry contest.

If one writes something he feels is good enough, why submit it here where there is no publishing credit and no money. Some reviews offer big money for poetry, like $200 per published poem. That is big for poetry. If there were prize money here, folks might be more willing to unveil some A material.

Few if any good journals accept work that has been published anywhere, including on the internet.

If the short story contest is not working so well anymore, discontinue it and start a poetry contest and see if that works. The stipulation about the piece having to have been written specifically for the contest is a bad one, because there is no way to check if people are honoring it or not. From what I observe of today's world, most people will not honor the condition, they will send the best piece they have, no matter when it was written. Open it up, if you want to see the best stuff people have.

A poetry contest is guaranteed to have more entries.

YesNo
05-16-2014, 09:28 AM
I was recently reading Rattle which doesn't consider self-publishing to sites like this to be publication (unless I read it wrong): www.rattle.com/poetry/submissions/guidelines/

Of course, one has to get the poem accepted by Rattle to see it published which takes time and is not guaranteed to ever happen. It takes only a few seconds to post a poem here.

Rattle, along with other journals, also have contests where there are cash prizes. There are entry fees to fund the prizes, but you also get a subscription with the entry fee. It seems like a workable financial model to support the monetary prize concept.

What it doesn't have are active forums.

desiresjab
05-16-2014, 04:11 PM
You are right, there are plenty of poetry contests out there run by legit folk. I am only talking because that is what we do here. Maybe a paid contest would take some of the fun out of it.

Maybe a poetry tournamnent would be a better idea.

desiresjab
05-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Rattle is a rarity in that regard. Most journals do not want something they publish to have been made public anywhere in print. Getting published in any of the better magazines, I believe that is very hard to do. There are about twenty journals, any three of which if you managed to get published in them would oil a lot of skidways. Rattle is one of those twenty.

I do not think I would want a forum if I were a poetry publisher. Too many rejection-slip-weilding trolls. Most of those small publishers have more important work to do. Let them use their manpower to read submissions.

YesNo
05-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Able Muse seems to be linked to the Eratosphere forum. Some of the forum participants were editors of small on-line journals as I recall when I used to post there. One could combine both together, but I'm sure it's a lot of work. http://eratosphere.ablemuse.com/