PDA

View Full Version : Hard Times

ying
05-29-2004, 01:00 AM
yes, i agree with you absolutely!!! It is absolutely so singapore!!! I can see the characters around me all the time. The people all have a jaded look on their faces. There is not a smile, not even the slightest hint of life!!

Unregistered
04-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Remember that Dickens’ is satirizing the growing hegemonic power, capitalism. His characters embody all of the flaws within the identity constructions that form as a result of capitalist need for production of goods and services. I would highly recommend reading Marx’s Communist Manifesto in compilation with Dickens’ and applying the underlying conceptions of identity formation to think about new ways in which to readjust social structures within your countries to allow for the re-invention of individuals in a system that is more open to freedoms rather then market values. The systems are shaped to make you apathetic to political events and activities, and make you feel like you have no power to change anything so that you will not try, and succeed.

mish
05-24-2005, 06:03 PM
I am doing Hard Times as a literature text and am beginning to understand it's themes a little more. Some people feel that Dickens' concerns do not apply anymore in our generation but in fact it is very applicable to our generation and my country in particular. I live in Singapore, a country known for it's emminently practical people and even more emminently practical government. Life seems to be a monotonous routine sometimes though it's nowhere as bad as the Hands' plight. It would be good if some of the movers and shakers in our government could read and understand the themes in Hard Times. This way, they might find it easier to understand the empathy that my generation feels towards anything political and patriotic. The frustrations that arise from feeling that we are not heard by the government and our views, unimportant, do not result in a destructive fraternity as in Hard Times, instead, it becomes cold empathy. The reason we do not care is because we are disillusioned, the reason we do not protest is because we do not think we will be heard and the reason why we do not return to our country after studying overseas is because we do not want to reenter the rat-race. Perhaps another Dickens will emerge soon, but I doubt he will be heard.